God hindereth the vaine purpose of building a hiegh towre, 7. by confounding mens tongues. 9. wherof it is called Babel. 10. The genealogie of Sem to Abram.
1. And the earth was of one tongue, and al one speach.
2. And when they remoued from the east, they found a plaine in the land of Sennaar, and dwelt in it.
3. And eech one said to his neighboure: Come, let vs make bricke, and bake them with fire. And they had bricke in steed of stone, and bitume in steed of morter:
4. and they said: Come, let vs make vs a citie and a towre, the toppe wherof may reach to heauen: and let vs renowne our name before we be dispersed into al lands.
5. And our Lord descended to see the citie and the towre, which the children of Adam builded,
6. and he said: Behold, it is one people, and one tongue is to al: and they haue begunne to doe this, neyther wil they leaue of from their determinations, til they accomplish them indede.
7. Come ye therfore, let vs goe downe, and there confound their tongue, that none may heare is neighbours voice.
8. And so our Lord dispersed them from that place into al lands, and they ceased to build the citie.
9. And therfore the name therof was called Babel, because there the tongue of the whole earth was confounded: and from thence our Lord dispersed them vpon the face of al countries.
10. These are the generations of Sem: Sem was an hundred yeares old when he begat Arphaxad, two yeares after the floud.
11. And Sem liued after he begat Arphaxad, fiue hundred yeares: and begat sonnes and daughters.
12. Moreouer Arphaxad liued thirtie fiue yeares, and begat Sale.
13. And Arphaxad liued after he begat Sale, three hundred three yeares: and begat sonnes and daughters.
14. Sale also liued thirtie yeares, and begat Heber.
15. And Sale liued after he begat Heber, foure hundred three yeares: and begat sonnes and daughters.
16. And Heber liued thirtie foure yeares, and begat Phaleg.
17. And Heber liued after he begat Phaleg, foure hundred thirtie yeares: and begat sonnes and daughters.
18. Phaleg also liued thirtie yeares, and begat Reu.
19. And Phaleg liued after he begat Reu, two hundred nine yeares, and begat sonnes and daughters.
20. And Reu liued thirtie two yeares, and begat Sarug.
21. Reu liued also after he begat Sarug, two hundred seauen yeares: and begat sonnes & daughters.
22. And Sarug liued thirtie yeares, and begat Nachor.
23. And Sarug liued after he begat Nachor, two hundred yeares: and begat sonnes and daughters.
24. And Nachor liued nine and twentie yeares, and begat Thare.
25. And Nachor liued after he begot Thare, an hundred and nintene yeares: and begat sonnes and daughters.
26. And Thare liued seauentie yeares, and begat Abram and Nachor, and Aran.
27. And these are the generations of Thare: Thare begat Abram, Nachor, & Aran. Moreouer Aran begat Lot.
28. And Aran died before Thare his father, in the land of his natiuitie in Vr of the Chaldees.
29. And Abram & Nachor maried wiues: the name of Abram his wife was Sarai: and the name of Nachor his Wife, Melcha the daughter of Aran the father of Melcha, and the father of Iescha.
30. And Sarai was barren, neither had she children.
31. Thare therfore tooke Abram his sonne, and Lot the sonne of Aran, his sonnes sonne, & Sarai his daughter in law, the wife of Abram his sonne, and brought them out of Vr of the Chaldees, for to goe into the land of Chanaan: and they came as farre as Haran, and dwelled there.
32. And the dayes of Thare came to two hundred fiue yeares, and died in Haran.