Saying, that he thanketh God for their excellent faith and charitie, and continually praieth
for their encrease, he doeth withal giue witnes to the preaching of their Apostle Epaphras,
and extolleth the grace of God in bringing them to Christ, who is cheefe aboue al & peace-maker
by his bloud. This is the Ghospel not of Epaphras alone, but of the vniuersal Church, and of Paul
himself who also suffereth for it.
1. PAVL an Apostle of Iesvs Christ by the wil of God, and Brother Timothee:
2. to them that are at Colossa Saints and fathful Brethren in Christ Iesvs.
3. Grace to you and peace from God our Father and our Lord Iesvs Christ. We giue thankes to God and the Father of our Lord Iesvs Christ alwaies for you, praying:
4. hearing your faith in Christ Iesvs, and the loue which you haue toward al the Saints,
5. for the hope that is laid vp for you in Heauen, which you haue heard in the word of the truth of the Ghospel,
6. that is come to you, as also in the whole world it is, and fructifieth, and groweth, euen as in you since that day that you heard and knew the grace of God in truth,
7. as you learned of Epaphras our dearest fellow-seruant, who is a faithful Minister of Iesvs Christ for you,
8. who also hath manifested to vs your loue in spirit.
9. Therfore we also from the day that we heard it, cease not praying for you and desiring, that you may be filled with the knowledge of his wil, in al wisedom, and spiritual vnderstanding:
10. that you may walke worthie of God, in al things pleasing: fructifying in al good worke, & increasing in the Kingdom of God:
11. in al power strengthned according to the might of his glorie, in al patience and longanimitie with ioy
12. giuing thankes to God and the Father, who hath made vs worthy vnto the part of the lot of the Saints in the light:
13. Who hath deliuered vs from the power of darkenes, and hath translated vs into the Kingdom of the Sonne of his loue,
14. in whom we haue redemption, the remission of sinnes:
15. who is the image of the inuisible God, the first-borne of al creature:
16. because in him were created al things in Heauen, and in earth, visible, and inuisible, whether Thrones, or Dominations, or Principalities, or Potestates: al by him & in him were created:
17. and he is before al, and al consist in him.
18. And he is the Head of the body, the Chvrch, who is the beginning, First--borne of the dead: that he may be in al things holding the primacie:
19. because in him it hath wel pleased, al fulnes to inhabit:
20. and by him to reconcile al things vnto himself, pacifying by the bloud of his crosse, whether the things in earth, or the things that are in Heauen.
21. And you, whereas you were sometime alienated and enemies in sense, in euil workes:
22. yet now he hath reconciled in the body of his flesh by death, to present you holy & immaculate, and blameles before him:
23. if yet ye continue in the faith, grounded and stable, and vnmouable from the hope of the Ghospel which you haue heard, which is preached among al creatures that are vnder Heauen, whereof I Paul am made a Minister.
24. Who now reioyce in suffering for you, and doe accomplish those things that want of the passions of Christ, in my flesh for his body which is the Chvrch:
25. whereof I am made a Minister according to the dispensation of God, which is giuen me toward you, that I may fulfil the word of God,
26. the mysterie that hath been hidden from worlds and Generations, but now is manifested to his Saints,
27. to whom God would make knowen the riches of the riches of the glorie of this Sacrament in the Gentiles, which is Christ, in you the hope of glorie,
28. whom we preach, admonishing euery man, and teaching euery man in al wisedom, that we may present euery man perfect in Christ Iesvs.
29. Wherein also I labour striuing according to his operation which he worketh in me in power.