The Church readeth this booke at Matins from Low-Sunday vnto the 3. Sunday
after Easter: euen as in S. Augustines time. See serm. 83, & 93. de Diuersis. to. 10.
The 1. part. The expectation of the Holy Ghost between the Ascension of Christ, and the beginning of the Church. Christ now ready to ascend, biddeth the Apostles to expect the Holy Ghost which he had promised, foretelling where (being strengthned by him) they should begin his Church, and how fare they should cary it. 9. After his Ascension they are warned by two Angels to set their mindes vpon his second comming. 14. In the daies of their expectation, 15. Peter beginneth to execute his vicarship, giuing instruction and order, by which Mathias is elected Apostle in the place of Iudas.
1. THE first treatise I made of al things, O Theophilus, which Iesvs began to doe and to teach,
2. vntil the day wherein giuing commandement by the Holy Ghost to the Apostles whom he chose, he was assumpted.
3. to whom he shewed also himself aliue after his passion in many arguments, for fourtie daies appearing to them, and speaking of the Kingdom of God.
4. And eating with them, he commanded them, that they should not depart from Hierusalem, but should expect the promise of the Father, which you haue heard (saith he) by my mouth:
5. for Iohn indeed baptized with water, but you shal be baptized with the Holy Ghost after these few daies.
6. They therfore that were assembled, asked him, saying: Lord, whether at this time wilt thou restore the Kingdom to Israel?
7. but he said to them: It is not for you to know times or moments, which the Father hath put in his owne power:
8. but you shal receiue the vertue of the Holy Ghost comming vpon you, and you shal be witnesses vnto me in Hierusalem, and in al Iewrie, and Samria, and euen to the vtmost of the earth.
9. And when he had said these things, in their sight he was eleuated: & a cloud receiued him out of their sight.
10. And when they beheld him going into Heauen, behold two men stood beside them in white garments,
11. who also said: Ye men of Galilee, why stand you looking into Heauen? This Iesvs which is assumpted from you into Heauen, shal so come as you haue seen him going into Heauen.
12. Then they returned to Hierusalem from the mount that is called Oliuet, which is by Hierusalem, distant a Sabboths iourney.
13. And when they were entred in, they went vp into an vpper chamber, where abode Peter & Iohn, Iames and Andrew, Philippe and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, Iames of Alphæus and Simon Zelotes, and Iude of Iames.
14. Al these were perseuering with one mind in praier with the women and Marie the mother of Iesvs, and his brethren.
15. In those daies Peter rising vp in the middes of the Brethren, said: (and the multitude of persons together, was almost an hundred and twentie.)
16. You men, Brethren, the scripture must be fulfilled which the Holy Ghost spake before by the mouth of Dauid concerning Iudas, who was the captaine of them that apprehended Iesvs:
17. who was numbred among vs and obteined the lot of this ministerie.
18. And he indeed hath possessed a field of the reward of iniquitie, and being hanged he burst in the middes, and al his bowels gushed out.
19. And it was made notorious to al the inhabitants of Hierusalem: so that the same field was called in their tongue, Hacel-dema, that is to say, the field of bloud.
20. For it is written in the booke of Psalmes: Be their habitation made desert, & be there none to dwel in it. And his Bishoprike let another take.
21. Therfore, of these men that haue assembled with vs, al the time that our Lord Iesvs went in and went out among vs,
22. beginning from the Baptisme of Iohn vntil the day wherein he was assumpted from vs, there must one of these be made a witnes with vs of his resurrection.
23. And they appointed two, Iospeh, who was called Barsabas, who was surnamed Iustus: and Matthias.
24. And praying they said: Thou Lord that knowest the harts of al men, shew of these two, one, whom thou hast chosen,
25. to take the place of this ministerie & Apostleship, from the which Iudas hath preuaricated that he might goe to his owne place. And they gaue them lots, and the lot fel vpon Matthias, and he was numbered with the eleuen Apostles.