Of what qualitie the Priests and Bishops must be: 9 namely learned, considering the Iudaical
seducers of that time. 12 That the Cretensians must be roughly vsed, to haue them continue
sound in faith.
1. PAVL the seruant of God, and an Apostle of Iesvs Christ according to the faith of the elect of God and knowledge of the truth: which is according to pietie.
2. Into the hope of life euerlasting, which he promised that lieth not, God, before the secular times:
3. but hath manifested in due times his word in preaching, which is committed to me according to the precept of our Sauiour God:
4. to Titus my beloued sonne according to the common faith, grace and peace from God the Father, and Christ Iesvs our Sauiour.
5. For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest reforme the things that are wanting, and shouldest ordaine Priests by cities, as I also appointed thee:
6. If any be without crime, the husband of one wife, hauing faithful children, not in the accusation of riot, or not obedient.
7. For a Bishop must be without crime, as the steward of God: not proud, not angrie, not giuen to wine, no striker, not couetous of filthy lucre:
8. but giuen to hospitalitie, gentle, sober, iust, holy, continent:
9. embracing that faithful word which is according to doctrine, that he may be able to exhort in sound doctrine, and to reproue them that gainesay it.
10. For there be many disobedient, vaine-speakers, and seducers, especially they that are of the Circumcision.
11. Who must be controuled. Who subuert whole houses, teaching the things they ought not, for filthie lucre.
12. One of them said, their owne proper Prophet, The Cretensians alwaies liers, naughtie beasts, slouthful bellies.
13. This testimonie is true. For the which cause rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith,
14. not attending to Iewish fables, and commandments of men, auerting themselues from the truth.
15. Al things are cleane to the cleane: but to the polluted and to infidels nothing is cleane: but polluted are both their mind and conscience.
16. They confesse that they know God: but in their workes they deny, whereas they be abominable and incredulous and to euery good worke reprobate.