THE FIRST part of this Ghospel, of the Infancie of our Sauiour Christ.
The pedegree of IESVS, to shew that he is Christ, promised
Gen. 12. 22.
2. Reg 7
Psa 131 Dauid. 18. That he was conceiued and borne of a Virgin, as Esay prophecied of him.
1. ⋮ This Ghospel is most solemly sung in some Churches after Matins, vpon Christmas day.
As also it is the Ghospel of the Conception, Natiuitie and Presentation of our B. Lady: because here is declared the pedegree of her also. THE booke of the * Luc 3.31. generation of IESVS Christ, the sonne of David, the sonne of Abraham.
2. * Gen 21. 25. 29. 38
Abraham begat Isaac, And Isaac begat Iacob. And Iacob begat Iudas and his brethren: 3. And Iudas begat Phares and Zaram of Thamar. * 1 Par. 2,5.
Ruth. 4,18. And Phares begat Esron. And Esron begat Aram. 4. And Aram begat Aminadab. And Aminadab begat Naasson. And Naasson begat Salmon. 5. And Salmon begat Booz of Raab. And Booz begat Obed of Ruth. And Obed begat Iesse. 6. And Iesse begat Dauid the King.
And * 2. Re. 12 24. Dauid the King begat Salomon of her that was the wife of Urias. 7. And * 1. Par. 3.10. Salomon begat Roboam. And Roboam begat Abia. And Abia begat Asa. 8. And Asa begat Iosaphat. And Iosaphat begat Ioram. And Ioram Ozias. 9. And Ozias begat Ioatham. And Ioatham begat Achaz. And Achaz begat Ezechias. 10. And Ezekias begat Manasses. And Manasses begat Amon. And Amon begat Iosias. 11. And Iosias begat Iechonias and his brethren * 4. Reg. 24.
2. Par 36. in the Transmigration of Babylon.
12. And after the Transmigration of Babylon, * 1. Par 3 Iochanias begat Salathiel. * 1. Esd 3 And Salathiel begat Zorobabel. 13. And Zorobabel begat Abiud. And Abiud begat Eliacim. And Eliacim begat Azor. 14. And Azor begat Sadoc. And Sadoc begat Achim. And Achim begat Eliud. 15. And Eliud begat Eleazar. And Eleazar begat Mathan. And Mathan begat Iacob. 16. And Iacob begat Ioseph the husband of MARIE: of ✟ De qua whom was born IESVS, who is called CHRIST.
17. Therefore al the Generations from Abraham vnto David, fourteen Generations. And from David to the Transmigration of Babylon, fourteen Generations. And from the Transmigration of Babylon vnto Christ, fourteen Generations.
18. ⋮ The Ghospel vpon Christmas eue & vpon S. Ioseph day the 19, of March. And the Generation of Christ was in this wise. When his Mother MARIE was spoused to Ioseph, before they came together, she was found to be with a child, by the Holy Ghost. 19. Whereupon Ioseph her husband for that he was a ✟ This word Iust, sounding that a man is iust in deede, & not only so imputed, Protestants translate, Righteous in this and diuers other places. iust man, & would not * Deu. 24,1. put her to open shame: was minded secretly to dimisse her. 20. But as she was thus thinking, behold the Angel of our Lord appeared to him in sleepe saying: Ioseph sonne of Dauid, feare not to take Marie thy wife, for that which is borne in her, is of the Holy Ghost. 21. And she shal bring forth a Sonne: and thou shalt cal his name ✟ IESVS an Hebrew word, in English SAVIOVR. IESVS. For he shal save his people from their sinnes. 22. And al this was done that it might be fulfilled which our Lord spake by the Prophet saying. 23. * Esa. 7,14. Behold a Virgin shal be with child, & bring forth a Sonne, and they shal cal his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with vs. 24. And Ioseph rising vp from sleepe, did as the Angel of our Lord commanded him, & tooke his wife. 25. And he knew her not til she brought forth her first borne Sonne: & called his name IESVS.
ANNOTATIONS. CHAP. I. 3. Thamar. ) Christ abhorred not to take flesh of some that were il, as he chose Iudas among his Apostles: Let not vs disdaine to receiue our spiritual birth and sustenance of such as be not alwayes good.
16. Ioseph. ) Ioseph marying our Lady as neere of kinne (for so was the *law) by his pedegree sheweth her, and consequently Christs pedegree from Dauid.
16. Husband. ) True and perfect mariage, and continual liuing in the same, without carnal copulation. Aug. ib. 2. Consen. Euang. c. 1.
20. Borne in her. ) The triple good or persecution of mariage accomplished in the parents of Christ, to wit, Issue, Fidelitie, Sacrament, Aug. de nup. & conc. li. 1. c. 12.
23. A virgin. ) Virginitie preferred.
Our Sauiour borne in mariage, but yet of a Virgin, would honour both states: and withal, teacheth vs against Iouinian the old Heretike and these of our time, that virginity and the continent life are preferred before mariage that hath carnal copulation. See S. Hierom. adu. Iouin. & S. Greg. Nazianz. Ser. 10 de studio in pauperes, in initio.
23. A virgin. ] Our B. Ladies perpetual virginity.
As our Ladie both a virgin and a mother, brought forth Christ the head corporally: so the Church a virgin and a mother, bringeth forth the members of this head spiritually. Aug. li. de Virg. ca. 2.
23. And bring forth. ) The Heretike Iouinian as here refuted, holding that her virginity was corrupted in bringing forth Christ. Aug. har. 28 li. 1. cont. Iulian c. 2.
25. Til. First-borne. ) Tradition.
Heludius of old abused these wordes, til, and first borne, against the perpetual virginity of our B. Ladie. Hiero. cont. Helu. which truth though not expressed in Scripture, yet our Aduersaries also do graunt, & Heludius for denial therof was condemned for an heretike by tradition only. Aug. her. 84.