The Church readeth this booke at Matins, in the 3 weeke after the octaues of
The 1 part. Seuen Epistles to the Churches. 9. S. Iohn being banished in the Ile Patmos, is commanded to write to the seuen Churches of Asia (signified by the seuen candlestickes) that which he saw vpon a Sunday, round about the Sonne of man: 13. whose manner of apparition is described.
1. THE Apocalypse of Iesvs Christ which God gaue him, to make manifest to his seruants the things which must be done quickly: and signified, sending by his Angels to his seruant Iohn,
2. who hath giuen testimonie to the word of God, and the testimonie of Iesvs Christ, what things soeuer he hath seen.
3. Blessed is he that readeth and heareth the words of this prophecied: and keepeth those things which be written in it. For the time is nigh.
4. Iohn to the seuen Churches which are in Asia. Grace to you and peace from him that is, and that was, and that shal come, and from the seuen Spirits which are in the sight of his throne,
5. and from Iesvs Christ who is the faithful witnes, the First-borne of the dead, and the Prince of the Kings of the earth, who hath loued vs, and washed vs from our sinnes in his bloud,
6. and hath made vs a Kingdom and Priests to God and his Father, to him be glorie and empire for euer and euer. Amen.
7. Behold he commeth with the clouds, and euery eie shal see him, and they that pricked him. And al the Tribes of the earth shal bewaile themselues vpon him. Yea, Amen.
8. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and end, saith our Lord God, which is, and which was, and which shal come, the Omnipotent.
9. I Iohn your brother and partaker in tribulation, and the Kingdom, and patiene in Christ Iesvs, was in the Iland, which is called Patmos, for the word of God and the testimonie of Iesvs.
10. I was in spirit on the Dominical day, and heard behind me a great voice as it were of a trompet
11. saying: That which thou seest, write in a booke: and send to the seuen Churches which are in Asia, to Ephesus, and Smyrna, and Pergamus, and Thiatira, and Sardis, and Philadelphia, and Laodicia.
12. And I turned, to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned I saw seuen candlesticks of gold:
13. and in the middes of the seuen candlesticks of gold, one like to the Sonne of man, vested in a priestly garment to the foot, & girded about neer to the paps with a girdle of gold.
14. And his head & haires were white, as white wool, and as snow, and his eyes as the flame of fire.
15. And his feet like to latten, as in a burning fornace. And his voice as the voice of many waters:
16. and he had in his right hand seuen starres. And from his mouth proceeded a sharpe two-edged sword: and his face, as the sunne shineth in his vertue.
17. And when I had seen him, I fel at his feet as dead. And he put his right hand vpon me, saying: Feare not. I am the First and the Last,
18. and aliue, and was dead, and behold I am liuing for euer and euer, and haue the keies of death and of hel.
19. Write therefore the things which thou hast seen, and that are, and that must be done after these:
20. The Sacrament of the seuen starres, which thou hast seen in my right hand, and the seuen candlesticks of Gold. The seuen starres, are the Angels of the seuen Churches. And the seuen candlesticks, are the seuen Churches.