The first part. Of the creation of al things. The Church readeth this
book in her Office from Septuagesima til Passion Sunday. Also this first chapter
& beginning of the second on Easter Eue before Masse.
God createth heauen and earth, and al things therin; distinguishing and beautifying the same. 26. Last of al, the sixth day he createth man; to whom he subiecteth al corporal things of this inferiour world.
1. IN THE beginning God created heauen and earth.
2. And the earth was voide & vacant, and darkenes was vpon the face of the deapth: and the Spirite of God moued ouer the waters.
3. And God said: Be light made. And light was made.
4. And God saw the light that it was good: & he diuided the light from the darkenes.
5. And he called the light, Day, and the darkenes, Night: and there was euening & morning, that made one day.
6. God also said: Be a firmament made amidst the waters: and let it diuide betwene waters & waters.
7. And God made a firmament, and diuided the waters, that were vnder the firmament, from those, that were aboue the firmament. And it was so done.
8. And God called the firmament, Heauen: and there was euening & morning made that made the second day.
9. God also said: Let the waters that are vnder the heauen, be gathered together into one place: and let the drie land appeare. And it was so done.
10. And God called the drie land, Earth: and the gathering of waters together he called Seas. And God sawe that it was good.
11. And said: Let the earth shootforth grene herbes, and such as may leede, & fruite trees yelding fruit after his kinde, such as may haue seede in it selfe vpon the earth. And it was so done.
12. And the earth brought forth grene herbe, such as seedeth according to his kinde, & tree that beareth fruite, hauing seede eche one according to his kinde. And God saw that it was good.
13. And there was euening & morning that made the third day.
14. Againe God said: Be there lightes made in the firmament of heauen, to diuide the day & the night, and let them be for signes & seasons, and dayes and yeares:
15. to shine in the firmament of heauen, & to giue light vpon the earth. And it was so done.
16. And God made two great lights; a greater light to gouerne the day, and a lesser light to gouerne the night; and starres.
17. And he set them in the firmament of heauen, to shine vpon the earth,
18. and to gouerne the day & the night, and to diuide the light and the darkenes. And God saw that it was good.
19. And there was euening and morning that made the fourth day.
20. God also said: Let the waters bring forth creeping creature hauing life, and and flying soule, ouer the earth vnder the firmament of heauen.
21. And God created huge whales, and al liuing and mouing creature, that the waters brought forth according to each sort, and al soule according to their kind. And God saw that it was good.
22. And he blessed them saying: Increase and multiply, and replenish the waters of the sea: and let the birds be multiplied vpon the earth.
23. And there was euening and morning that made the fifth day.
24. God said moreouer: Let the earth bring forth liuing creature in his kind, cattle, and such as creep, and beasts of the earth according to their kinds, and cattle, and al that creepeth on the earth in his kind.
25. And God made the beats of the earth according to their kind, and cattle, and al that creepeth on the earth in his kind. And God saw that it was good,
26. and he said Let vs make Man to our image & likenes: and let him haue dominion ouer the fishes of the sea, and the soules of the ayre, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and al creeping creature that moueth vpon the earth.
27. And God created man to his owne image: to the image of God he created him, male and female he created them.
28. And God blessed them, and saith: Increase and multitude, and replenish the earth, and subdew it, and rule ouer the fishes of the sea, and soules of the ayre, & al liuing creatures that moue vpon the earth.
29. And God said: Behold I haue giuen you al manner of hearb that seedeth vpon the earth, and al trees that haue in themselues seed of their owne kind, to be your meate:
30. and to al beasts of the earth, and to euery soule of the ayre, and to al that moue vpon the earth, and wherein there is life, that they may haue to feed vpon. And it was so done.
31. And God saw al things that he had made, and they were very good. And there was euening and morning that made the sixt day.