1. Foure seales of the seuen being opened, there follow diuerse effects against the earth. 9.
When the fifth seala was opened, the soules of martyrs desire that the iudgement may be hastned: 12.
and at the opening of the sixt, there are signes shewed of the iudgement to come.
1. AND I saw that the Lamb had opened one of the seuen seales, and I heard on of the foure beasts, saying, as it were th voice of thunder: Come, and see.
2. And I saw: And behold a white horse, and he that sate vpon him had a bow, and there was a crowne giuen him, and he went forth conquering that he might conquer.
3. And when he had opened the second seale, I heard th second beast, saying: Come, & see.
4. And there went forth an other horse, redde: and he that sate thereon, to him it was giuen that he should take peace from the earth, and that they should kil one another, and a great sword was giuen to him.
5. And when he had opened the third seale, I heard the third beast, saying: Come, and see. And behold a black horse, and he that sate vpon him, had a balance in his hand.
6. And I heard as it were a voice in the middes of the foure beasts saying: Two pounds of wheat for a penie, and thrise two pounds of barley for a penie, and wine and oile hurt thou not.
7. And when he had opened the fourth seale, I heard a voice of the fourth beast, saying: Come, & see.
8. And behold a pale horse: and he that sate vpon him, his name was death, and hel followed him. And power was giuen to him ouer the foure parts of the earth, to kil with sword, with famine, and with death, and with beasts of the earth.
9. And when he had opened the fifth seale: I saw vnder the altar the soules of them that were slaine for the word of God, and for the testimonie which they had.
10. And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long Lord (holy and true) iudgest thou not and reuengest thou not our bloud of them that dwel on the earth?
11. And white stoles were giuen, to euery one of them one; and it was said to them, that they should rest yet a litle time, til their fellow-seruants be complete, and their Brethren, that are to be slaine euen as they.
12. And I saw, when he had opened the sixt seale, and behold there was made a great earth-quake, and the sunne become black as it were sack-cloth of haire: and the whole moon became as bloud:
13. and the starres from heauen fel vpon the earth, as the figge-tree casteth her green figges when it is shaken of a great wind:
14. and heauen departed as a booke folded together: and euery hil, and Ilands were moued out of their palce.
15. And the Kings of the earth, and Princes, and Tribunes, and the rich, and the strong, and euery bond-man, and free-man hid themselues in the dennes and the rockes of mountaines.
16. And they say to the mountaines and the rocks: Fal vpon vs, and hide vs from the face of him that sitteth vpon the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
17. because the great day of their wrath is come, and who shal be able to stand?