He is commanded to write diuers things to the Churches of Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamus, and
Thyatira: praising them that had not admitted the doctrine of the Heretikes called Nicolaita,
22. and calling others by threats vnto penance: 26. and promising reward to him that manfully
1. AND to the Angel of the Church of Ephesus write, Thus saith he which holdeth the seuen starres in his right hand, which walketh in the middes of the seuen Candlestickes of gold:
2. I know thy workes and labour, and thy patience: & that thou canst not beare euil men & hast tried them which say themselues to be Apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3. and thou hast patience, and hast borne for my name, and hast not fainted.
4. But I haue against thee a few things, because thou hast left thy first charitie.
5. Be mindful therfore from whence thou are fallen: and doe penance, and doe the first workes. But if not: I come to thee, & wil moue thy Candlesticke out of his place, vnlesse thou doe penance.
6. But this thou hast, because thou hatest the facts of the Nicolaites, which I also hate.
7. He that hath an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches: To him that ouercommeth, I wil giue to eate of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of my God.
8. And to the Angel of the Church of Smyrna write: Thus saith the First and the Last, who was dead, and liueth:
9. I know thy tribulation and thy pouertie, but thou art rich: and thou art blasphemed of them that say themselues to be Iewes and are not, but are the Synagogue of Satan.
10. Feare none of these things which thou shalt suffer. Behold the Diuel wil send some if you into prison that you may be tried: and you shal haue tribulation ten daies. Be thou faithful vntil death: and I wil giue thee the crowne of life.
11. He that hath an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches: He that shal ouercome, shal not be hurt of the second death.
12. And to the Angel of the Church of Pergamus write: Thus saith he that hath the sharp two-edged sword:
13. I know where thou dwellest, where the seate of Satan is: and thou holdest my name, and hast not denied my faith. And in those daies Antipas my faithful witnesse, who was slaine among you, where Satan dwelleth.
14. But I haue against thee a few things: because thou hast there, them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, to eate and commit fornication:
15. so hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaites.
16. In like manner doe penance. If not: I wil come to thee quickly, and wil fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
17. He that hath an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches: To him that ouer commeth I wil giue the hidden manna, and wil giue him a white counter, and in the counter, a new name written, which no man knoweth, but he that receiueth it.
18. And to the Angel of the Church of Thyatira write: This saith the Sonne of God, which hath eyes as a flame of fire, and his feet like to latten.
19. I know thy workes, and faith, and thy charitie, and ministerie, and thy patience and thy last workes more then the former.
20. But I haue against thee a few things: because thou permittest the woman Iezabel, who calleth her self a Prophetesse, to teach, and to seduce my seruants to fornicate, and to eate of things sacrificed to idols.
21. And I gaue her a time that she might doe penance & she wil not repent from her fornication.
22. Behold I wil cast her into a bed: and they that commit aduoutrie with her, shal be in very great tribulation, vnlesse they doe penance from their workes:
23. and her children I wil kil with death, & al the Churches shal know that I am he that searcheth the reines & harts & I wil giue to euery one of you according to his workes.
24. But I say to you and the rest which are at Thyatira, whosoeuer haue not this doctrine, which haue not knowen the depth of Satan, as they say, I wil not cast vpon you another weight.
25. Yet that which you haue, hold til I come.
26. And he that shal ouercome and keep my workes vnto the end, I wil giue him power ouer the Nations,
27. and he shal rule them with a rod of yron, and as the vessel of a potter shal they be broken,
28. as I also haue receiued of my Father: and I wil giue him the morning starre.
29. He that hath an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches.