He is commanded to write to the Churches of Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicia: recalling them
that erre, to penance by threatning, but praising the rest, and promising reward to him that
ouercometh: 15. detesting also the cold indifferent Christian. 20. He saith that God knocketh at the
doore of mens harts by offering his grace, for to enter in to him that wil open vnto him by consent
1. AND to the Angel of the Church of Sardis, write: Thus saith he that hath the seuen Spirits of God, and the seuen starres: I know thy workes, that thou hast the name that thou liuest, and thou art dead.
2. Be vigilant, and confirme the rest of the things where were to die. For I find not thy workes ful before my God.
3. Haue in mind therfore in what manner thou hast receiued and heard: and keep, and doe penance. If therfore thou watch not, I wil come to thee as a theefe, and thou shalt not know what houre I wil come to thee.
4. But thou hast a few names in Sardis, which haue not defiled their garments: and they shal walke with me in whites, because they are worthy.
5. He that shal ouercome, shal thus be vested in white garments, and I wil not put his name out of the booke of life, and I wil confesse his name before my Father, and before his Angels.
6. He that haht an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches.
7. And to the Angels of the Church of Philadelphia write: This saith the Holy one and the True one, he that hath the key of Dauid; he that openeth, and no man shutteth, shutteth, and no man openeth:
8. I know thy workes. Behold I haue giuen before thee a doore opened which no man can shut: because thou hast a litle power, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9. Behold I wil giue of the Synagogue of Satan, which say they be Iewes, and are not, but doe lie. Behold I wil make them come and adore before thy feet. And they shal know that I haue loued thee.
10. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, and I wil keep thee from the houre of tentation, which shal come vpon the whole world to tempt the inhabitants on the earth.
11. Behold I come quickly: hold that which thou hast, that no man take thy crowne.
12. He that shal ouercome, I wil make him a piller in the temple of my God: and he shal goe out no more: and I wil write vpon him the name of my God, and the name of the citie of my God, new Hierusalem, which descendeth out of Heauen from my God, and my new name.
13. He that hath an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches.
14. And to the Angels of the Church of Laodicia write: Thus saith Amen, the faithful and true witnesse, which is the beginning of the creature of God:
15. I know thy workes, that thou art neither cold, nor hot. I would thou wert cold, or hot.
16. But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I wil begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.
17. Because thou saiest, That I am rich, and enriched, and lacke nothing; and knowest not that thou art a miser, and miserable, and poore, and blind, and naked.
18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold fire-tried, that thou maiest be made rich: and maiest be clothed in white garmentes, that the confusion of thy nakednes appeare not: and with eye-salue anoint thine eyes, that thou maiest see.
19. I, whom I loue, doe rebuke and chastise. Be zealous therfore and doe penance.
20. Behold I stand at the doore and knock. If any man shal heare my voice, and open to me the gate, I wil enter in to him, and wil sup with him, and he with me.
21. He that shal ouercome, I wil giue vnto him to sit with me in my throne: as I also haue ouercome, and haue sitten with my Fathers in his throne.
22. He that hath an eare, let him heare what the Spirit saith to the Churches.