The harlot Babylon clothed with diuers ornaments, 6. and dranken of the bloud of Martyrs,
sitteth vpon a beast that hath seuen heads and ten hornes: 7. al which things the Angels
1. AND there came one of the seuen Angels which had the seuen vials, & spake with me, saying: Come, I wil shew thee the damnation of the great harlot, which sitteth vpon many waters.
2. with whom the Kings of the earth haue fornicated, & they which inhabit the earth haue been drunke of the wine of her whoredom.
3. And he tooke me away in spirit into the desert. And I saw a woman sitting vpon a scarlet coloured beast, ful of names of blasphemie, hauing seuen heads, and then hornes.
4. And the woman was clothed round about with purple and scarlet, and gilted with gold, and pretious stone, and pearles, hauing a golden cup in her hand, ful of the abomination & filthines of her fornication.
5. And in her forehead a name written, Mysterie: Babylon the great, mother of the fornications and the abominations of the earth.
6. And I saw the woman drunken of the bloud of Saints, and of the blood of the Martyrs of Iesvs. And I marueled when I had seen her, with great admiration.
7. And the Angel said to me: Why doest thou maruel? I wil tel thee the mysterie of the woman, and of the beast that carieth her, which hath the seuen heads, and the ten hornes.
8. The beast which thou sawest, was, and is not, and shal come vp out of the bottomles depth, and goe into destruction: and the inhabitants on the earth (whose names are not written in the booke of life from the making of the word) shal maruel, seeing the beast that was, and is not.
9. And here is vnderstanding, that hath wisedom. The seuen heads, are seuen hilles, vpon which the woman sitteth, and they are seuen Kings.
10. Fiue are fallen, one is, and another is not yet come: and when he shal come, he must tarie a short time.
11. And the beast which was, and is not: the same also is the eight, and is of the seuen, & goeth into destruction.
12. And the ten hornes which thou sawest, are ten Kings, which haue not yet receiued Kingdom, but shal receiue power as Kings one houre after the beast.
13. These haue one counsel and force: and their power they shal deliuer to the beast.
14. These shal fight with the Lamb, and the Lamb shal ouercome them, because he is Lord of Lords, and King of Kings, and they that are with him, called, and elect, and faithful.
15. And he said to me: The waters which thou sawest where the harlot sitteth, are peoples, and Nations, and tongues.
16. And the ten hornes which thou sawest in the beast: these shal hate the harlot, and shal make her desolate and naked, and shal eate her flesh, and her they shal burne with fire.
17. For God hath giuen into their harts, to doe that which pleaseth him: that they giue their kingdom to the beast, til the words of God be consummate.
18. And the woman which thou sawest: is the great citie, which hath Kingdom ouer the Kings of the earth.