The Iewes (of Hierusalem) seeking his death, he walketh in Galilee: where he signifieth to his
Brethren, that not in this Scenopégia, but in another (to wit, Pasche following) the Iewes should
kil him: that is, not when they would, but when he wil. 10. In so much that at this feast he teacheth
openly in the Temple, and conuerteth many, 14. both in the middle day 37. and the last day thereof,
without any hurt, though also the Rulers send to apprehend him.
The Ghospel vpon Tuesday in Passion weeke.
AFTER these things Iesvs walked
into Galilee, for he would not walke
Iewrie: because the Iewes sought to kil him.
2. And the festiual day of the Iewes, Leu. 23,34. Scenopegia (Leu. 23. σκηνῶν ἑορτὴ) is the feast of Tabernacles, which the Iewes kept from the 7. of Octo. for eight dayes together by Gods commandement, for a memorie that their Fathers dwelt by God’s protection fourtie yeares in tabernacles or tentes, and not in houses, comming out of AEgypt. See Leuit. 23,34. Scenopégia, was at hand.
3. Abd his Brethren said to him: Passe from hence, and goe into Iewrie; that thy Disciples also may see thy workes which thou doest.
4. For no man doth any thing in scret, seekest himself to be in publike. If thou doe these things, manifest thy self to the world.
5. For neither did his Brethren beleeue in him.
6. Iesvs therfore saith to them: My time is not yet come; but your time is alwaies readie.
7. The world can not hate you, but me it hateth: because I giue testimonie of it, that the workes thereof are euil.
8. Goe you vp to this festiual day: ‘I will not yet goe vp' I goe not vp to this festiual day; because my time is not yet accomplished.
9. When he had said these things, himself taried in Galilee.
10. But after he Brethren were gone vp, then also went vp to the festiual say, not openly, but as it were in secret.
11. The Iewes therfore sought him in the festiual dau, and said: Where is he?
12. And there was much murmuring in the multitude of him. For certaine said: That he is good. And others said: No, but he seduceth the multitudes.
13. Yet no man spake openly of him for feare of the Iewes.
14. The Ghospel vpon the tuesday in the 4. weeke of Lent. And when the festiual was now half done, Iesvs went vp into the Temple, and taught.
15. And the Iewes maruailed, saying: How doth this man know letters, whereas he hath not learned?
16. Iesvs answered them, and said: My doctrine is not mine, but is that sent me.
17. If any man The way to come to know the truth, is to liue wel. wil doe the wil of him, he shal vnderstand of the doctrine whether it be God, or I speake of my self.
18. It is spoken of Antichrist specially, and it is true in al Heretikes August. tract. 29. in Euang Ioan. He that speaketh of himself, seeketh his owne glorie. But he that seeketh the glorie of him that sent him, he is true, and iniustice in him there is not.
19. Did not Moyses giue you the Law, and none of you doth the law?
20. Why seeke you to kil me? The multitude answered, and said, No maruel, when these speake thus to Christ himself, if Heretikes cal his Vicar Antichrist. Thou hast a Diuel, who seeketh to kil thee?
21. Iesvs answered and said to them: One worke I haue done; and you doe al marueil.
22. Therfore Leu. 12,3. Moyses gaue you the circumcision: not that it is of Moyses, but Gen. 17,20. of the Fathers, and in the Sabboth you circumcise a man.
23. If a man receiue circumcision in the Sabboth, that the Law of Moyses be not broken; are you angry at me because I haue healed a man wholy in the Sabboth?
24. Iudge not according to the face, but iudge iust iudgement.
25. Certaine therfore of Hierusalem said: Is not this he whom they seeke to kil?
26. And behold, he speaketh openly, and they say nothing to him. Haue the Princes knowen indeed that this is Christ?
27. But this man we know whence he is. But when Christ commeth, no man knoweth whence he is.
28. Iesvs therfore cried in the Temple teaching and saying: Both me you doe know, and whence I am you know. And of my self I am not come, but he is true that sent me, whom you know not.
29. I know him, because I am of him, and he sent me.
30. They sought therfore to apprehend him: and no man laid hands vpon him, because his houre was not yet come.
31. But of the multitude many beleeued in him, and said: Christ, when he commeth shal he doe more signes then these which this man doth?
32. The Ghospel vpon Monday in Passion weeke. The Pharisees heard the multitude murmuring these things touching him: and the Princes and Pharisees sent Ministers to apprehend him.
33. Iesvs therfore said to them: Yet a litle time I am with you: and I goe to him that sent me.
34. Iohn 13,33. You seeke me, and shal not find: and where I am, you can not come.
35. The Iewes therfore said among themselues, whither wil this man goe, that we shal not find him? wil he goe into the dispersion of the Gentils, and teach the Gentils?
36. What is this saying that he hath said: You shal seek me, and shal not find; and where I am, you can not come.
37. And in the last, the Leuit. 23,36. great day of the festiuitie Iesvs stood and cried, saying: If any man thirst, let him come to me, and drinke.
38. He that beleeueth in me, as the scripture saith, Ioel 2,28. Out of his belly shal flow riuers of liuing water.
39. (And this he said Act. 2,1. of the Spirit that they should receiue which beleeued in him. This was fulfilled on whitsunday Act. 2. and afterward alwayes by imposition of hands in the Sacrament of Confirmation: visibly in the primitiue Church, and inuisibly to the end of the world. For as yet the Spirit was not giuen: because Iesvs was not yet glorified.)
40. Of that multitude therfore, when they had heard these words of his, some said: This is the Prophet indeed.
41. Others said: This is Christ. But certaine said: Why, doth Christ come from Galilee?
42. Doth not the Psa. 131,11.
Mich. 5,2. scripture say: That of the seed of Dauid, and from Bethlehem the towne where Dauid was, Christ doth come?
43. Therfore there arose diffension in the multitude for him.
44. And certaine of them would haue apprehended him: but no man laid hands vpon him.
45. The ministers therfore came to the cheefe Priests and the Pharisees. And they said to them: Why haue you not brought him?
46. The Ministers answered: Neuer did there man so speake, as this man.
47. The Pharisees therfore answered them: Why, are you also seduced?
48. Hath any of the Princes beleeued in him, or of the Pharisees?
49. but this multitude that knoweth no the Law, are accursed.
50. Nicodemus said to them Christ hath some good alwayes euen among the wicked, which secretly serue him and by wise delayes auert the execution of iniust lawes against him and his people, as Nicodemus and Gamaliel. he Iohn. 3,2. that came to him by night, who was one of them:
51. Doth our Law iudge a man, vnles it first heare him, and know what he doth?
52. They answered & said to him: Why, art thou also a Galilæan? 'Search the scriptures.' Search, & see that from Galilee a Prophet riseth not.
53. And euery man returned to his house.