He continueth his talke to the Pharisees, shewing that they and al other that wil not enter in
by him, are wolues: and that they which heare them, are not the true sheep. 11. But that himself
the good Pastour, and therfore to saue the sheep from these wolues, he wil yeald his life, which
otherwise no might of theirs could take from him, foretelling also he Resurrection, and vocation of
the Gentils. 22. Againe another time, he telleth these Iewes openly, that they are not of his sheep,
and that no might of theirs shal take from him his true sheep, because he is God, euen as his Father
is God. 31. Which by his miracles and by Scripture he sheweth to be no blasphemie: and they in vaine
seeking to stone and to apprehend him, 40. he goeth out to the place where Iohn Baptist had giuen witnes
The Ghospel vpon Tuesday on whitsun-weeke.
AMEN, amen I say to you, he that entreth not by the doore into the fold of the
Climeth another way.
Arch-heretikes specially, are the theeues that clime in another way, not by the doore.
Whosoeuer taketh vpon him to preach without lawful sending, to minister Sacraments, and is not Canonically ordered of a true Catholike Bishop, to be a Curate of soules, Person, Bishop, or what other spiritual Pastour so euer, and commeth not in by lawful election and holy Churches ordinance to that dignity, but breaketh in against order by force or fauour of men, and by humane lawes, he is a theefe and a murderer. So came in Arius, Caluin, Luther, and al Heretikes: and al that succeed them in roome and doctrine. And generally euery one that descendeth not by Lawful succession in the knowen ordinarie line of Catholike Bishops and Pastours that haue been in al Countries since their conuersions. And according to this rule S. Irenæus li. 3. c. 3. vseth the true shepheards from the theeues and Heretikes. So doe Tertul. de Praeser. nu. 11. S. Cypr. de vnit. Ec. nu. 7. S. August. ep. 165. & cont. ep. Manich. c. 4. and Liuinesis climeth vp another way; he is The theefe, is the Heretike specially, and any other that vnlawfully breake in vpon the sheepe to kil and destroy them by false doctrine and otherwise. a theefe and a robber.
2. But he that entreth by the doore, is the Pastour of the sheep.
3. To this man the porter openeth; and the sheep heare his voice: and he calleth his owne sheep by name, and leadeth them forth.
4. And when he hath let forth his owne sheep, he That is the fashion of Iewrie and other countries, signifying that the shepheard or Pastour must teach the sheepe, and not they him. goeth before them: and the sheep follow him, because they know his voice.
5. But a stranger they follow not, but fly from him because they know not the voice of strangers.
6. This prouerb Iesvs said to them. But they knew not what he spake to them.
7. Iesvs therfore said to them againe: Amen, amen I say to you, that I am the doore of the sheep.
8. And how many soeuer haue come, are theeues and robbers: but the sheep heard them not.
9. I am the doore. By me if any enter, he shal be saued: & he shal goe in and shal goe out, & shal find pastures.
10. The theefe commeth not but to steal and kil & destroy. I came that they may haue life, & may haue more aboundantly.
11. The Ghospel vpon the 2. Sunday after Easter, and for S. Thomas of Canterburie. Deceb. 29. And in his Translation. Iulij. 7. Isai. 40,11.
Ezec. 34,23. I am the Good Pastour.
The good Pastour, is he whose special care is not of his owne aduantage, but of the safty of the flocke. The hireling, is he that respecteth not the profit and good of the flocke, but his owne lucre. The woulfe, is the Heretike, or any persecutour of the Church, which is Christs flocke. good Pastour.
12. The good Pastour giueth his life for his sheep. But the hireling & he that is not the Pastour, whose owne the sheep are not, seeth the wulfe comming, and leaueth the sheep, and flieth: and the wulfe raueneth, and disperseth the sheep.
13. And the hireling Flieth.
When the Pastour must tarie, or may flie.
Euery Bishop and Pastour is bound to abide with his flocke in times of danger and persecution euen to death, except himself be personally sought for, rather then the flocke, or the flocke itself forsake him. For in such cases the Pastour may flye, as the Apostles did, and S. Athanasius, and others. S. Athan. Apol. de sua fuga. August. ep. 180. flyeth because he is a hireling; and he hath no care of the sheep.
14. I am the good Pastour; and I know mine, and mine know me.
15. As the Father knoweth me, and I know the Father: and Christes death was so necessarie for the flocke, that when he might haue escaped, he voluntarily offered himself to death for his flocke. I yeald my life for my sheep.
16. And He meaneth the Church of the Gentils. other sheep I haue that are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shal heare my voice, and there shal be made Eze. 37,24. one fold and one Pastour.
17. Therfore the Father loueth me: because I yeald my life, that I may take it againe.
18. No man taketh it away from me: but Isai. 53,7. I yeald it of myself. And I haue power to yeald it: and I haue power to take it againe. This commandement I receiued of my Father.
19. A dissension rose againe among the Iewes for these wordes.
20. And many of them said: He hath a Diuel and is made; why heare you him?
21. Others said: These are not the wordes of one that hath a Diuel. Can a Diuel open the eyes of blind men?
22. The Ghospel vpon wenesday in Passion weeke. 1. Mac. 4,56. 59. And The dedication.
This is the feast of Dedication instituted by Iudas Machabæus li. 1 Mach. c. 4. Christ vouchsafed to honour and keepe that feast instituted by him: and our Heretikes vouchsafe not to pray and sacrifice for the dead, *vsed and approued by him.
Dedication of Churches.
The Dedication also of Christian Churches is warranted thereby, with the annual memories thereof. And it proueth that such things may be instituted without any expresse commandement in Scripture.
*2. Machæ. 12. the Dedication was in Hierusalem: and it was winter.
23. And Iesvs walked in the Temple, in Salomons porch.
24. The Iewes therfore compassed him round about, and said to him: How long doest thou hold our soules in suspense? if thou be Christ, tel vs openly.
25. Iesvs answered them: I speake to you; and you beleeue not; the workes that I doe in the name of my Father, they giue testimonie of me.
26. But you doe not beleeue, because you are not of my sheep.
27. My sheep heare my voice; and I know them, and they follow me.
28. And I giue them life euerlasting; and they shal not perish for euer, and no man shal plucke them out of my hand.
29. Another reading is, My Father that hath giuen me, &c. My Father, That which he gaue me.
Christs essence and diuine nature of the Father.
Thus read also diuers of the Fathers, namely S. Hilar. Trin. li. 7 post medium. S. Ambr. de Sp. S. li. 3. c. 18. S. August. in Io. tract. 48. S. Cyril. li. 7. in Io c. 10. and vse it to proue that Christ had his essence and nature of the Father.
And therfore some Heretikes of our time wickedly accuse the Councel of Laterane for falsifying this place and applying it to the same purpose. Which they lesse can abide, for that it is against Caluins Autotheisme, holding that Christ tooke his person of the Father, but not his substance. See the 2 Annot. in 1 Io. v. 1. that which he hath giuen me, is greater then al: and no man can plucke them out of the hand of my Father.
30. I and the Father are vnum. one.
31. The Iewes tooke vp stones, to stone him.
32. Iesvs answered them: Many good workes I haue shewed you from my Father, for which of those workes doe you stone me?
33. The Iewes answered him: For a good worke we stone thee not, but for blasphemie, and because thou being a man, makest thyself God.
34. Iesvs answered them: Is it not written in your law, that Psa. 81,6. I said you are Goddes?
35. If he called them Goddes, to whom the word of God was made, and the scripture can not be broken;
36. whom the Father hath sanctified and sent into the world, say you, That thou blasphemest, because I said I am the Sonne of God?
37. If I doe not the workes of my Father, beleeue me not.
38. But if I doe, and if you wil not beleeue me, beleeue the workes: that you may know and beleeue that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.
39. They sought therfore to apprehend him; and he went forth out of their handes.
40. And he went againe beyond Iordan into that place where Iohn was baptizing first; and he taried there.
41. and many came to him. and they said: That Iohn indeed did no signe. But al things whatsoeuer Iohn said of this man, were true.
42. And many beleeued in him.