After his Sermon of farewel, he prayeth to his Father, that seing he hath now finished his worke, he wil giue him his appointed glorie, for the conuersion of al Nations, 6. and preserue his Apostles, and his Church after them in vnitie and veritie (that is, from Schisme and Heresie:) 14. finally also glorifie them with him in Heauen. 1. The Ghospel vpon Ascension eue. THESE things spake Iesvs: and lifting vp his eyes into Heauen, he said: Father, the houre is come, The Father glorifieth the Son by raising him from death, exalting him vp to his right hand, making al creatures to bow down at his Name, and giuing him al power and iudgment. The Sonne again glorifieth the Father, by making his honor, which only in a manner was in Iewrie before, now known to al Nations. glorifie thy Sonne, that thy Sonne may glorifie thee.
2. As thou hast giuen him power ouer al flesh, that al which thou hast giuen him, to them he may giue life euerlasting.
3. And this is Life euerlasting.
True knowledge of God.
Both the life of glory in Heauen, and of grace here in the Church, consisteth in the knowledge of God: that, in perfect vision: this, in faith working by charity; for, knowledge of God without keeping his commandements, is not true knowledge, that is to say, it is an vnprofitable knowledge. 1. Io. 2. life euerlasting that they know thee, the only true God, and whom thou hast sent Iesvs Christ.
4. I haue glorified thee vpon the earth: I haue consummated the worke which thou gauest me to doe:
5. and now glorifie thou me O Father with thyself, with the glorie which I had before the world was, with thee.
6. I haue manifested thy name to the men whom thou gauest me out of the world. Thine they were, and to me thou gauest them: and they haue kept thy word.
7. Now they haue knowen that al things which thou gauest me are from thee:
8. because the wordes which thou gauest me, I haue giuen them: and they haue receiued, and knowen in very deed that I came forth from thee, and haue beleeued that thou didst send me.
9. For them doe I pray: Not for the world doe I pray, but for them whom thou hast giuen me;
10. because they be thine: and al things be thine, and thine be mine: and I am glorified in them. And now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, & I come to thee.
11. The Ghospel in a votiue Masse against Schisme. Holy father, His petition is specially to keep the Apostles and his Church in vnity and from Schismes. keep them in thy name, whom thou hast giuen me; that they may be one, as also we.
12. When I was with them, I kept them in thy name. Those Iohn 18,9. whom thou gauest me, haue I kept and none of them perished, but the sonne of perdition, that the Psa. 40,10. 108,8. scripture may be fulfilled.
13. And now I come to thee: and these things I speake in the world, that they may haue my ioy filled in themselues.
14. I haue giuen them thy word, and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world: as I also am not of the world.
15. I pray not that thou take them away out of the world, but that thou preserue them from euil.
16. Of the world they are not: as I also am not of the world.
17. Sanctifie them.
The Church can not erre.
Christ prayeth that the Apostles, their Successours, & al that shal be of their beleefe, may be sanctified in truth. Which is as much to say, as to desire that the Church may euer haue the Spirit of truth, and be free from errour. Which praier of Christ had not been heard, if the Church might erre. Sanctifie them in truth. Thy word is truth.
18. As thou didst send me into the world, I also haue sent them into the world.
19. And for them I doe To sanctifie himself, is to sacrifice himself by dedicating his holy body and bloud to his Father, both vpon the Crosse, and in the holy Sacrament. sanctifie myself: that they also may be sanctified in truth.
20. And not for them only doe I pray, But for them.
The Canon of the Masse.
He expresseth (and it is a great comfort) that he praieth not only for the Apostles, but for the whole Church after them, that is, for al beleeuers. And al this profound and diuine praier is resembled in the holy Canon of the Masse before the consecration, as here it was made before his visible Sacrifice on the Crosse. but for them also that by their word shal beleeue in me:
21. that they al may be one, as thou (Father) in me & I in thee; that they also in vs may be one: that the world may beleeue that thou hast sent me.
22. And the glorie that thou hast giuen me, haue I giuen to them; that they may be one as we also are one.
23. I in them, and thou in me: that they may be consummate in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loued them, as me also thou hast loued.
24. Father, whom thou hast giuen me, I wil, that where I am, they also may be with me: that they may see my glorie which thou hast giuen me, because thou hast loued me before the creation of the world.
25. Iust Father, the world hath not knowen thee. But I haue knowen thee: and these haye knowen, that thou didst send me.
26. And I haue notified thy name to them, and wil notifie it: that the loue wherwith thou hast loued me may be in them, and I in them.