The cause why he foretelleth them their persecutions be the Iewes, is, that they be not afterward scandalized thereat. 6. Though they thinke this heauie newes, it is for their vantage that he departeth, because of the great benefits that they shal receiue by the comming then of the Holy Ghost, who shal also be his witnes against his enemies. 16. Although in this world they shal so be persecuted, yet to his heauenly Father they and their praiers made in his name, shal be most acceptable, and at length the child (that is, Christ in al his members) being borne, their ioy shal be such as no persecutiour can take from them. 31. Howbeit at this instant of his apprehension, they wil al forsake him. 1. THESE things I haue spoken to you, that you be not scandalized.
2. Out of the Synagogues they wil The Heretics translate, Excommunicate you. See what corruption this is, and the reason thereof, Annot. c. 9,22. cast you: but the houre commeth, that euery one which killeth you, shal thinke that he doeth seruice to God.
3. And these things they wil doe to you, because they haue not knowen the Father, nor me.
4. But these things I haue spoken to you: that when the houre shal come, you may remember them, that I told you.
5. The Ghospel vpon the 4. Sunday after Easter. But I told you not these things from the beginning, because I was with you. And now I goe to him that sent me, and none of you asketh me: Whither goest thou?
6. But because I haue spoken these things to you, sorrow hath filled your hart.
7. But I tel you the truth, it is expedient for you that I goe. For if I goe not, the Paraclete shal not come to you: but if I goe, I wil send him to you.
8. And when he is come, he shal argue the world of sinne, and of iustice, and of iudgement.
9. Of sinne: because they beleeued not in me.
10. But of iustice: because I goe to the Father; and now you shal not see me.
11. And of iudgement: because the Prince of this world is now iudged.
12. Yet many things.
Christ left many things to be taught by the Church.
This place conuinceth that the Apostles and the faithful be taught many things, which Christ omitted to teach them for their weaknes: and that it was the prouidence of God that Christ in presence should teach and order al things, that we might be no lesse assured of the things that the Church teacheth by the Holy Ghost, then of the things that himself deliuered. Yet many things I haue to say to you: but you can not beare them now.
13. But when he, The Spirit of truth.
The Spirit of truth.
Euer note that the Holy Ghost in that he is promised to the Church, is called the Spirit of truth, which Holy Spirit for many other causes is giuen to diuerse priuate men and to al good men, to sanctification: but to teach al truth and reserue in truth and from errour, he is promised and performed only to the Church and the chief Gouernor and General Councels thereof. the Spirit of truth, commeth, If he shal teach al truth, and that for euer (as before c. 14,16) how is it possible, that the Church can err, or hath erred in any point? he shal teach you al truth. For he shal not speake of himself; but what things soeuer he shal heare, he shal speake: and the things that are to come he shal shew you.
14. He shal glorifie me; because he shal receiue of mine, and shal shew to you.
15. Al things whatsoeuer the Father hath, be mine. Therfore I said, that he shal receiue of mine, and shal shew to you.
16. The Ghospel vpon the 3. Sunday after Easter. A litle while, and now you shal not see me; & againe a litle while, & you shal see me: because I goe to the Father.
17. Some therfore of his Disciples said one to another: What is this that he saith to vs: A litle while, and you shal not see me; and againe a litle while and you shal see me, and, because I goe to the Father?
18. They said therfore: What is this that he saith, A litle while? we know not what he speaketh.
19. And Iesvs knew, that they would aske him; & he said to them: Of this you doe question among your selues, because I said to you: A litle while, and you shal not see me; and againe a litle while, and you shal see me.
20. The Ghospel for some Martyrs between Easter & whitsunday. Amen, amen I say to you, that you shal weepe and lament, but the world shal reioyce: and you shal be made sorrowfil, but your sorrow shal be turned into ioy.
21. A woman when she trauaileth, hath sorrow, because her houre is come: but when she hath brought forth the child, now she remembreth not the anguish for ioy, that a man is borne into the world.
22. And you therfore, now indeed you haue sorrow, but I wil see you againe, and your hart shal reioyce; and your ioy no man shal take from you.
23. The Ghospel vpon the 5. Sunday after Easter. And in that day me you shal aske any thing. Amen, amen I say to you, if you aske the Father any thing Vpon this the Church concludeth al her praiers, Per Christum Dominum nostrum, euen those also that be made to Saints. in my name, he wil giue it you.
24. Vntil now you haue not asked any thing in my name. Aske and you shal receiue; that your ioy may be ful.
25. These things in prouerbs I haue spoken to you. The houre commeth when in prouerbs I wil no more speake to you, but plainly of the Father I wil shew you.
26. In that day you shal aske in my name: and I say not to you, that I wil aske the Father for you.
27. For the Father himself loueth you, because you haue loued me, and haue beleeued that I came forth from God.
28. I came forth from the Father, and came into the world: againe I leaue the world, and I goe to the Father.
29. His Disciples say to him: Behold now thou speakest plainly, and saiest no prouerb.
30. Now we know that thou knowest al things, and thou needest not that any man aske thee. In this we beleeue that thou camest forth from God.
31. Iesvs answered them: Now doe you beleeue?
32. Mat. 27,31.
Mark 14,27. Behold the houre commeth, and it is now come, that you shal be scattered euery man into his owne, and me you shal leaue alone: and I am not alone because the Father is with me.
33. These things I haue spoken to you, that in me you may haue peace. In the world you shal haue distresse, but haue confidence, I haue ouercome the world.