The Church is taught to commit the reuenge of her persecutions to God, and to pray incessantly,
for he no doubt (though in the persecution of Antichrist few wil so thinke) wil at length come.
9. We must also pray with humility, because we know not with the Pharisee if we be iust, but we know
with the Publican that we be sinners. 15. He wil haue children to be brought to him, and al to be as
children. 18. What is to be done to get life euerlasting. 22. What also, to get perfection; 28. and What
reward they shal haue that leaue al, yea or any part, for his sake. 31. He foretelleth of his Passion
most particularly, 33. And entring into Iericho, cureth one blind man.
1. AND he spake also a parable to them that it behoueth We should pray alwayes by faith, hope and charitie and by working the things that be acceptable to God: though special times of vocal prayers in the Canonical houres be assigned for the stirring vp of vs to God through external signes of deuotion. alwaies to pray, & not to be weary,
2. saying: There was a certaine iudge in a certaine citie, which feared not God, and of man made no account.
3. And there was a certaine widow in that citie, and she came to him, saying: Reuenge me of mine aduersarie.
4. And he would not of a long time. But afterward he said within himself: Although I feare not God, not make account of man,
5. yet because this widow is importune vpon me, I wil reuenge her, lest at the last she come and defame me.
6. And our Lord said: Heare what the iudge of iniquitie sayeth.
7. And wil not God reuenge his elect that crie to him day and night: and wil he haue patience in them?
8. I say to you that he wil quickly reuenge them. But yet the Sonne of man comming, shal he find trow you, Shal he find faith.
The Church erreth not in faith.
The Luciferians and Donatists vsed this place to excuse their fal from the Church, as our Aduersaries now doe, saying that it was decayed in faith, when they forsooke it. To whom we answer as S. Hierom and S. Augustin answered them, *that Christ saith not that there should be no faith left in earth: but by this manner of speach insinuateth, that at the later day in the great persecution of Antichrist faith should be more rare, and the faithful among so many wicked not so notorious: specially that perfect faith containing deuotion, trust, and affection toward God, which our Maister so praised in certaine vpon whom he wrought miracles, and by force whereof mountaines might be moued, which is rare euen when the Church florisheth most.
*Hier. cont. Lucif. c. 6.
Aug. de vnit. Ec. c. 15, & de verb. Do Ser. 36. faith in the earth?
9. The Ghospel vpon the 10. Sunday after Pentecost. And he said also to certaine that trusted in them selues as iust, and despised others, this parable:
10. Two men went vp into the Temple to pray: the one a Pharisee, and the other a Publican.
11. The Pharisee standing, praied thus with him self: God, I giue thee thankes that I am not as the rest of men, extorcioners, uniust, aduouterers, as also this Publican.
12. To take pride of fasting, tithing, or any good worke, is naught, though the workes themselues be very good. I fast twise in a weeke: I giue tithes of al that I possesse.
13. And the Publican standing a farre off would not so much as lift vp his eyes toward Heauen; but he So doe the Priests and people at the holy Altar knocke their breasts, and say with the humble Publican, Deus propitius. Aug. Ps. 31. conc. 3. knocked his breast, saying: God be merciful to me a sinner.
14. I say to you, this man went downe into his house iustified more then he: because euery one that exalteth himself, shal be humbled; and he that humbleth himself, shal be exalted.
15. Mat. 19,13.
Mark 10,13. And they brought vnto him infants also, that he might touch them. Which thing when the Disciples saw, they rebuked them.
16. But Iesvs calling them together, said: Suffer children to come vnto me, and forbid them not, for the Kingdom of Heauen is for such.
17. Amen I say to you: Whosoeuer receiueth not the Kingdom of God In matters of faith and religion we must be as humble and obedient to the Catholike Church as yong children to their parents. as a child, shal not enter into it.
18. Mat. 19,16.
Mark 10,17. And a certaine Prince asked him, saying: Good Maister, by doing what, shal I possesse euerlasting life?
19. And Iesvs said to him: Why doest thou cal me good? None is good but only God.
20. Thou knowest Not faith only but also keeping the commandements purchase life euerlasting. See annot. Mat. 19,16. the commandements: Exo. 20,13. Thou shalt not kil, Thou shalt not commit aduouterie, Thou shalt not steale, Thou shalt not beare false witnes, Honour thy father & mother.
21. Who said: Al these thigns haue I kept from my youth.
22. Which Iesvs heaing, said to him: Yet one thing thou lackest: This is not a commandement or precept, but counsel: which the religious doe follow. See annot Mat. 19. Sel al that euer thou hast, & giue it to the poore, and thou shalt haue treasure in Heauen: and come follow me.
23. He hearing these things, was stroken sad: because he was very rich.
24. And Iesvs seeing him stroken sad, said: How hardlu shal they that haue money enter into the Kingdom of God?
25. For it is easier for a camel to passe through the eye of a nedle, then for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.
26. And they that heard, said: And who can be saued?
27. He said to them: The things that are impossible with men, are possible with God.
28. And Peter said: Loe, we haue left al things, and haue followed thee.
29. Who said to them: Amen I say to you, there is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or The Apostles among other things left their wiues also, as S. Hierom noteth out of this place Li. 1. adu. Iouin. wife, or children of the Kingdom of God,
30. and shal not receiue much more in this time, and in the world to come Life euerlasting the reward for leauing or losing willingly our goods for Christs sake. life euerlasting.
31. Mat 20,17.
Mark 10,32. And Iesvs tooke the Twelue, and said to them: Behold we goe vp to Hierusalem, and al things shal be consummate which were written by the Prophets of the Sonne of man.
32. For he shal be deliuered to the Gentils, and shal be mocked, and scourged, and spit vpon:
33. and after they haue scourged him, they wil kil him, and the third day he shal rise againe.
34. And they vnderstood none of these things, and this word was hid from them, and they vnderstood not the things that were said.
35. The Ghospel vpon the Sunday of Quinquagesme. And it came to passe, when he drew nigh to Iericho, a certaine blind man sate by the way, begging.
36. And when he heard the multitude passing by, he asked what this should be.
37. And they told him that Iesvs of Nazareth passed by.
38. And he cried saying: Iesvs sonne of Dauid, haue mercie vpon me.
39. And they that went before, rebuked him, that he should hold his peace. But he cried much more, Sonne of Dauid haue mercie vpon me.
40. And Iesvs standing commanded him to be brought vnto him. And when he was come neere, he asked him,
41. saying: What wilt thou that I doe to thee? but he said: Lord, that I may see.
42. And Iesvs said to him: Doe thou see; thy faith hath made thee whole.
43. And forthwith he saw, and followed him, magnifying God. And al the people as they saw it, gaue praise to God.