He riseth againe the third day, & (the blind most obstinate Iewes by bribery working to their owne reprobation) he appeareth to his Disciples in Galilee (as both before his Passion he foretold them Mat. 26. and now after his Resurrection, first the Angel, then also himself appointed by the women) 18. and sendeth them to al Nations, to build his Church among the Gentils.
1. The Ghospel for the night Masse of Christes Resurrection, which is now vsed to be said on Easter eue.
EASTER day. Mark 16,1.
Iohn 20,1. AND in the euening of the Sabboth which dawneth on the first of the Sabboth, came Marie Magdalene, and the other Marie To see the Sepulchre.
The holy Sepulcher, and Pilgrimage therunto.
The deuout women came to visit our Sauiours sepulcher, and for their deuotion first deserued to know the Resurrection, and to see him risen. The honour of the which Sepulcher, and the Pilgrimage thereunto in the Primitiue Church, S. Hierom declareth in these wordes, *The Iewes sometime honoured Sancta Sanctorum, because there were the Cherubs and the Propitiatorie, and the Arke of the Testament, Manna, Aarons rod, and the golden Altar. Doth not the Sepulcher of our Lord seeme vnto thee more honorable? Which as often as we enter into so often doe we see our Sauiour lie in the sindon and staying there a while, we see the Angel againe sit at his feet, and at his head the napkin wrapped togeather. The glorie of whose Sepulcher, we know was long prophecied before Ioseph hewed it out, by Esay saying: **And his rest shal be honour: to wit, because the place of our Lordes burial should be honoured of al men. And at this present, notwithstanding the Turkes dominion, yet doe the Religious Christian Catholike men by Gods mighty prouidence keepe the holy Sepulcher, which is within a goodly Church, and Christians come out of al the world in Pilgrimage to it.
*In Ep. 17. Paulæ & Eustoch. ad Marcel. to. 1.
**Esa. 11. to see the sepuchre.
2. And behold there was made a great earth-quake. For an Angel of our Lord descended from Heauen: and comming, roled back the stone, and sate vpon it:
3. and his countenance was as lightning, and his garment as snow.
4. And for feare of him, the watchmen were frighted, and became as dead.
5. And the Angel answering said to the women: Feare not you. For I know that you seeke Iesvs that was crucified.
6. He is not here, for he is risen, Mark 24,32. as he said. Come, and see the place where our Lord was laid.
7. And going quickly tel ye his Disciples that he is risen: and behold he goeth before you into Galilee: there you shal see him. Loe I haue foretold you.
8. And they went forth quickly out of the monument with feare and great ioy, running to tel his Disciples.
9. And behold Iesvs met them, saying: Al haile. But they came neere and tooke hold of his feet, and adored him.
10. Then Iesvs said to them: Feare not. Goe, tel my brethren that they goe into Galilee, there they shal see me.
11. Who when they were departed, behold certaine of the watchmen came into the citie, and told the chiefe Priests al things that had been done.
12. And being assembled togeather with the Ancients, taking counsel, they gaue a great summe of money to the souldiars,
13. saying: Say you, that his Disciples came by night, and stole him away when we were asleep.
14. And if the President shal heare of this, we wil persuade him, and make you secure.
15. But they taking the money, did as they were taught. And this word was bruited abrode the Iewes, euen vnto this day.
16. The Ghospel vpon Friday in Easter weeke. And the eleuen Disciples went into Galilee, vnto the mount where Iesvs had appointed them.
17. And seeing him they adored, but some doubted.
18. The Ghospel in the feast of the B. Trinitie. And Iesvs comming neere spake vnto them, saying: Al power is giuen to me in Heauen and in earth.
19. Going therfore.
The Catholike Church to be gathered of al Nations.
Commission to baptize and preach to al Nations giuen to the Apostles, and grounded vpon Christs soueraigne authority, to whom was giuen al power in Heauen and in earth. going therfore teach ye al Nations: BAPTIZING THEM IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, AND OF THE SONNE, AND OF THE HOLY GHOST,
20. teaching them to obserue al things whatsoeuer I haue commanded you: and behold I am With you al daies.
Christs continual protection of the same Church.
Here Christ doth promise his concurrence with his Apostles and their Successours, as wel in preaching as ministring the Sacraments, and his protection of the Church neuer to cease til the worlds end: contrary to our Aduersaries, saying that the Church hath failed many hundred yeares til Luther and Caluin. with you al daies, euen to the consummation of the world.