By example of Christ (who is incomparably more excellent then Moyses also) he exhorteth them
to be faithful vnto God. 7 Their reward shal be, to enter into euerlasting rest, if they
perseuer: as contrariewise to be excluded (as was shadowed in their forefathers in the wildernes)
if they sinne and become incredulous.
1. WHEREFORE, holy Brethren, partakers of the heauenly vocation, consider the Apostle, and high Priest of our confession Iesvs:
2. who is faithful to him that made him, as also Nu. 12,7. Moyses in al his house.
3. The excellencie of Christ aboue Moyses. For, this man is esteemed worthie of more ample glorie aboue Moyses, by so much as more ample glorie then the house, hath he that framed it.
4. For euery house is framed of some man. But he that created al things, is God.
5. And Moyses indeed was faithful in al his house as a seruant, for a testimonie of those things which were to be said:
6. but Christ as the Sonne in his owne house: which house are we, if we keep firme the confidence and glorie of hope vnto the end.
7. Wherfore, as the Holy Ghost saith, Ps. 94,8. To day if you shal heare his voice,
8. harden not your harts as in the exacerbation according to the day of tentation in the desert,
9. where your fathers tempted me: proued and saw my workes
10. fourtie yeares. For the which cause I was offended with this Generation, and said, They doe alwaies erre in hart. And they haue not knowen my waies.
11. as to whom I sware in my wrath, If they shal enter into my rest.
12. Beware Brethren, lest perhaps there be in some of you an euil hart of incredulitie, to depart from the liuing God.
13. But exhort your selues euery day, whiles to day is named, that none of you be obdurate with the fallacie of sinne.
14. For we be made partakers of Christ: yet so if we keep the Faith is the groundworke of our creation in Christ, which if we hold not fast, al the building is lost. beginning of his substance firme vnto the end.
15. While it is said, to day if you shal heare his voice, doe not obdurate your harts as in that exacerbation.
16. For some hearing did exasperate: but not al they that went out of Ægypt by Moyses.
17. And with whom was he offended fourtie yeares? was it not with them that sinned, Nu. 14,37. 21,23. whose carcasses were ouerthrowen in the desert?
18. And to whom did he sweare that they should not enter into his rest: but to them that were incredulous?
19. And we see that they could not enter in, because of incredulitie.