He continueth his exhortation to good life, 5. assuring them against al deceiuers, that no
committer of mortal sinne shal be saued: considering that for such sinnes it is that the
Heathen shal be damned: 8. & that Christians must rather be the light of al others. 22. Then he
commeth in particular and exhorteth husbands and wiues to doe their duty one towards the other, by
the example of Christ and his obedient and beloued Spouse the Church.
1. BE ye therfore followers of God, as most deare children:
2. and walke in loue, as Christ also loued vs, and deliuered himself for vs an oblation and host to God in an odour of sweetnes.
3. But fornicaiton and al vncleannes, or auarice let it not so much as be named among you as it becommeth Saints:
4. or filthines, or foolish talke, or scurrilite, being to no purpose: but rather giuing of thankes.
5. For vnderstanding know you this that no fornicatour, or vncleane, or couetous person (which is the seruice of idols) hath inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God.
6. Let no man seduce you with vaine words. For, for these things commeth the anger of God vpon the children of dissidence.
7. Become not therfore partakers with them.
8. For you were sometime darknes, but now light in our Lord. Walke as children of the light,
9. (for the fruit of the lights in al goodnes, and iustice, and veritie)
10. prouing what is wel pleasing to God:
11. and communicate not with the vnfruitful workes of darknes, but rather reproue them.
12. For the things that are done of them in secret, it is shame euen to speake.
13. But al things that are reproued, are manifested by the light. For al that is manifested, is light.
14. For the which cause he saith: Rise thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead: and Christ wil illuminate thee.
15. See therfore, Brethren, how you walke warily. Not as vnwise, but as wise:
16. redeeming the time, because the daies are euil.
17. Therfore become not vnwise, but vnderstanding what is the wil of God.
18. And be not drunke with wine wherin is riotousnes, but be filled with the Spirit,
19. speaking to your selues in Psalmes & hymnes, and spiritual canticles, chanting and singing in your harts to our Lord:
20. giuing thankes alwaies for al things, in the name of our Lord Iesvs Christ to God and the Father.
21. Subiect one to another in the feare of Christ.
22. Let women be subiect to their husbands, as to our Lord:
23. because the man is the Head of the woman: as Christ is the Head of the CHVRCH. Himself, the Sauiour of his body.
24. But as the CHVRCH is subiect to Christ, so also the women to their husbands in al things.
25. Husbands, loue your wiues, as Christ also loued the CHVRCH, and deliuered himself for it:
26. that he might sanctifie it, cleansing it by the lauer of water in the Word,
27. that he might present to himself a glorious CHVRCH, not hauing spot or wrinkle, or any such thing, but that it may be holy and vnspotted.
28. So also men ought to loue their wiues as their owne bodies. He that loueth his wife, loueth himself.
29. For no man euer hated his owne flesh: but he nourisheth and cherisheth it, as also Christ the CHVRCH:
30. because we be the members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31. For this cause shal man leaue his father and mother: and shal cleaue to his wife, and they shal be two in one flesh.
32. This is a great Sacrament. But I speake in Christ & in the CHVRCH.
33. Neuertheles you also euery one, let each loue his wife as himself: and let the wife feare her husband.