He exorteth them to keep the vnitie of the Church most carefully with al humilitie, bringing
them many therevnto: 7 & answering that euen the diuersitie it-self of offices is not for diuision,
as being the guift of Christ himself, but to build vp the Church, and to hold al in the vnitie
thereof against the suttle circumuentions of Heretikes: that vnder Christ the Head, in the Church
being the body, euery member may prosper. 17. Neither (as touching life) must we liue like the Heathen,
but as it becometh Christians, laying off al our old corrupt manners, & increasing daily in al goodnes.
1. I Therfore prisoner in our Lord, beseech you, that you walke worthy of the vocation in which you are called,
2. with al humilitie and mildnes, with patience, supporting one another in charitie,
3. careful to keep the vnitie of the spirit in the bond of peace.
4. One body & one spirit: as you are called in one hope of your vocation.
5. One Lord, one faith, one Baptisme.
6. One God and Father of al, which is ouer al, and by al, & in al vs.
7. But to euery one of vs is giuen grace according to the measure of the donation of Christ.
8. For the which he saith: Ascending on high he lead captiuitie captiue: he haue guifts to men.
9. (And that he ascended, what is it, but because he descended also first into the inferiour parts of the earth?
10. He that descended, the same is also he that is ascended aboue al the Heauens, that he might fil al things.)
11. And he gaue, some Apostles, & some Prophets, & other-some Euangelists & other-some Pastours & Doctours,
12. to the consummation of the Saints, vnto the worke of the Ministrie, vnto the edifiying of the body of Christ:
13. vntil we meet al into the vnitie of faith and knowledge of the Sonne of God into a perfect man, into the measure of the age of the fulnes of Christ:
14. that now we be not children wauering, and caried about with euery wind of doctrine in the wickednes of men, in craftines to the circumuention of errour.
15. But doing the truth in charitie, let vs in al things grow in him which is the Head, Christ:
16. of whom the whole body being compact and knit together by al iuncture of subministration, according to the operation in the measure of euery member, maketh the increase of the body vnto the edifiying of it-self in charitie.
17. This therfore I say and testifie in our Lord: that now you walke not as also the Gentils walking in the vanitie of their sense,
18. hauing their vnderstanding obscured with darkenes, alienated from the life of God by the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindnes of their hart,
19. who despairing, haue giuen vp themselues to impudicitie, vnto the operation of al vncleannes, vnto auarice.
20. But you haue not so learned Christ:
21. if yet you haue heard him, & haue been taught in him, (as the truth is in Iesvs.)
22. Lay you away according to the old conuersation the old man which is corrupted according to the desires of errour.
23. And be renewed in the spirit of your mind:
24. and put on the new man which according to God is created in iustice, and holinesse of the truth.
25. For the which cause laying away lying, speake ye truth euery one with his neighbour, because we are members one of another.
26. Be angrie and sinne not. Let not the sunne goe downe vpon your anger.
27. Giue not place to the Diuel.
28. He that stole, let him now not steale: but rather let him labour in working with his hands that which is good, that he may haue whence to giue vnto him that suffereth necessitie.
29. Al naughtie speach let it not proceed out of your mouth: but if there be any good to the edifying of the faith, that it may giue grace to the hearers.
30. And contristate not the holy Spririt of God: in which you are signed vnto the day of redemption.
31. Let al bitternes and anger, and indignation, and clamour, and blasphemie be taken away from you with al malice.
32. And be gentle one to another, merciful, pardoning one another, as also God in Christ hath pardoned you.