By their owne conuersion at the first, 6. and by the example of Abraham, and promise made to
him, he sheweth that the way to obtaine the benediction, is to seeke vnto God by faith in Christ,
10. Seeing also that the Law curseth euery one that hath not euermore kept the Law. 15. And, that
the Law was not giuen to alter God's Testament, 19. but to conuince the Iewes of sinne, 23. and so
to be their pedagogue or leader vnto Christ, 25. and then to cease.
1. O senses Galatians, who hath bewitched you, not to obey the truth, before whose eyes Iesvs Christ was proscribed, being crucified among you?
2. This only I would learne of you: By the workes of the Law, did you receiue the Spirit, or by the hearing of the faith?
3. Are you so foolish, that whereas you began with the Spirit, now you wil be consummate with the flesh?
4. Haue you suffered so great things without cause? if yet without cause.
5. He therfore that giueth you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you; by the workes of the Law, or by the hearing of the faith doeth he it?
6. As, Abraham beleeued God, and it was reputed to him vnto iustice.
7. Know ye therfore that they that are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8. And the Scripture fore-seeing that God iustifieth the Gentils by faith, shewed vnto Abraham before, That in thee shal al Nations be blessed.
9. Therfore they that are of faith, shal be blessed with the faithful Abraham.
10. For whosoeuer are of the workes of the Law, are vnder curse. For it is written: Cursed by euery one that abideth not in al things that be written in the booke of the Law, to doe them.
11. But that in the Law no man is iustified with God, it is manifest, because the iust liueth by faith.
12. But the Law is not by faith: but, He that doeth those things, shal liue in them.
13. Christ hath redeemed vs from the curse of the Law, being made a curse for vs (because it is written: Cursed is euery one that bangeth on a tree)
14. that on the Gentils the blessing of Abraham might be made in Christ Iesvs: that we may receiue the promise of the Spirit by faith.
15. Brethren (I speake according to man) yet a man's testament being confirmed no man despiseth, or further disposeth.
16. To Abraham were the promises said, and to his seed. He saith not, And to seeds, as in many: but as in one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
17. And this I say, the testament being confirmed of God, the Law which was made after foure hundred and thirtie yeares, maketh not void to frustrate the promise.
18. For if the inheritance be of the Law, now not of promise. But God gaue it to Abraham by promise.
19. Why was the Law then? It was put for transgressions, vntil the seed came to whom he had promised: ordeined by Angels in the hand of a Mediatour.
20. And a Mediatour is not of one: but God is one.
21. Was the Law then against the promises of God? God forbid. For if there had been a Law giuen that could iustifie, vndoubtedly iustice should be of the Law.
22. But the Scripture hath concluded al things vnder sinne: that the promise by the faith of Iesvs Christ might be giuen to them that beleeue.
23. But before the faith came, vnder the Law we were kept shut vp, vnto that faith which was to be reuealed.
24. Therfore the Law was our Pedagogue in Christ: that we may be iustified by faith.
25. But when the faith came, now we are not vnder a Pedagogue.
26. For you are al the children of God by faith in Christ Iesvs.
27. For as many of you as are baptized in Christ, haue put on Christ.
28. There is not Iew nor Greek, there is not bond nor free, there is not male nor femal. For al you are one in Christ Iesvs.
29. And if you be Christs, then are you the seed of Abraham, heires according to promise.