He telleth forth the storie begun in the last chapter, and how he reprehended Peter, 15. and
then specially vrgeth the ensample of the Christians Iewes, who sought vnto Christ for
iustification, and that by warrant also of their Law it-self, as also because otherwise Christ's
death had been needles.
1. THEN after fourteen yeares I went vp againe to Hierusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus also with me.
2. And I went vp according to reuelation: and conferred with them the Ghospel which I preach among Gentils, but apart with them that seemed to be some-thing, lest perhaps in vaine I should runne or had runne.
3. But neither Titus which was with me, whereas he was a Gentil, was compelled to be circumcised:
4. but because of the false Brethren craftily brought in, which craftily came in to espie our libertie that we haue in Christ Iesvs, that they might bring vs into seruitude.
5. To whom we yealded not subiection no not for an houre, that the truth of the Ghospel may remaine with you.
6. But of them that seemed to be some-thing, (what they were some-time, it is nothing to me. God accepteth not the person of man) for to me, they that seemd to be something, added nothing.
7. But contrariewise when they had seen, that to me was committed the Ghospel of the prepuce, as to Peter of the circumcision
8. (for he that wrought in Peter to the Apostleship of circumcision, wrought in me also among the Gentils)
9. and when they had knowen the grace that was giuen me, Iames and Cephas and Iohn, which seemed to be pillars, gaue to me and Barnabas the right hands of societie: that we vnto the Gentils, & they vnto the circumcision:
10. only that we should be mindful of the poore: the which same thing also I was careful to doe.
11. And when Cephas was come to Antioche, I resisted him in face, beacause he was reprehensible.
12. For before that certaine came from Iames, he did eate with the Gentils: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them that were of the circumcision.
13. And to his simulation consented the rest of the Iewes, so that Barnabas also was led of them into that simulation.
14. But when I saw that they walked not rightly to the veritie of the Ghospel, I said to Cephas before them al: If thou being a Iew, liuest Gentil-like and not Iudaically, how doest thou compel the Gentils to Iudaize?
15. We are by nature Iewes, and not of the Gentils, sinners.
16. But knowing that man is not iustified by the workes of the Law, but by the faith of Iesvs Christ; we also beleeue in Christ Iesvs, that we may be iustified by the faith of Christ, and not by the workes of the Law: for the which cause, by the workes of the Law no flesh shal be iustified.
17. But if seeking to be iustified in Christ, our selues also be found sinners; is Christ then a Minister of sinne? God forbid.
18. For if I build the same things againe which I haue destroied, I make my self a preuaricatour.
19. For I by the Law, am dead to the Law, that I may liue to God: with Christ I am nailed to the crosse.
20. And I liue, now not I; but Christ liueth in me. And that that I liue now in the flesh, I liue in the faith of the Sonne of God, who loued me, and deliuered himself for me.
21. I cast not away the grace of God. For if iustice be by the Law, then Christ died in vaine.