He is careful for them though he were neuer with them: that they rest in the wonderful
wisedom which is in Christian religion, and be not caried away either with Philosophie, to
leaue Christ and to sacrifice to Angels; or with Iudaisme, to receiue any ceremonies of Moyses
1. FOR I wil haue you know, Brethren, what manner of care I haue for you and for them that are at Laodicia, and whosoeuer haue not seen my face in the flesh:
2. that their harts may be comforted, instructed in charitie, and vnto al the riches of the fulnes of vnderstanding, vnto the knowledge of the mysterie of God the Father of Christ Iesvs,
3. in whom be al the treasures of wisedom and knowledge hid.
4. But this I say that no man deceiue you in loftiness of words.
5. For although I be absent in body, yet in Spirit I am with you; reioycing, and seeing your order, and the constancie of that your faith which is in Christ.
6. Therfore as you haue receiued Iesvs Christ our Lord, walke in him,
7. rooted and built in him and confirmed in the faith, as also you haue learned, abounding in him in thanks-giuing.
8. Beware lest any man deceiue you by Philosophie, & vaine fallacie; according to the tradition of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ.
9. For in him dwelleth al the fulnesse of the Godhead corporally:
10. and you are in him replenished, who si the Head in al principalitie and power:
11. in whom al you are circumcised with circumcision not made by hand in spoiling of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ,
12. buried with him in Baptisme: in whom also you are risen againe by the faith of the operation of God, who raised him vp from the dead.
13. And you when you were dead in the offenses and the prepuce of your flesh, did he quicken together with him; pardoning you al offenses,
14. wyping out the hand-writing of decree that was against vs, which was contrarie to vs. And the same he hath taken out of the way, fastning it to the crosse:
15. and spoiling the Principalities & Potestates, hath lead them confidently in open shew, triumphing them in himself.
16. Let no man therfore iudge you in meat or in drinke, or in part of a festiual day, or of the New-moon, or of Sabboths:
17. which are a shadow of things to come, but the body Christs.
18. Let no man seduce you, willing in the humilitie and religion of Angels, walking in the things which he hath not seen, in vaine puffed vp by the sense of his flesh,
19. and not holding the Head, wherof the whole body by ioynts and bands being serued and compacted, groweth to the increase of God.
20. If then you be dead with Christ, from the elements of this world; why doe you yet decree as liuing in the world?
21. Touch not, tast not, handle not:
22. which things are al vnto destruction by the very vse, according to the precepts and doctrines of men.
23. Which are indeed hauing a shew of wisedom in superstition and humilitie, and not to spare the body, not in any honour to the filling of the flesh.