Againe Ionas is commanded to preach in Niniue, that within fourtie
dayes it shal be destroyed: 5. They al fast, and repent: 10. and God recalleth his
1. AND the word of our Lord was made to Ionas the second time, saying:
2. Arise, & goe into Niniue the great citie: and preach in it the preaching which I speake to thee.
3. And Ionas arose, & went into Niniue according to the word of our Lord: & Niniue was a great citie of three dayes iorney.
4. And Ionas began to enter into the citie on dayes iorney: & he cried, and sayd: As yet fourtie dayes, and Niniue shal be subuerted.
5. And the men of Niniue beleued in God: and they proclamed a fast, and were clothed with sackcloths from the greater to the lesser.
6. And the word came to the king of Niniue: and he rose vp out of his throne, and cast away his garment from him, and was clothed with sackcloth, and sate in ashes.
7. And he cried, and sayd in Niniue from the mouth of the king & of his princes, saying: Men, and beasts, and oxen, and cattel let them not taste any thing: nor feede, and let them not drinke water.
8. And let men, and beasts be couered with sackcloths, and crie to our Lord in strength, and let euerie man conuert from his euil way & from the iniquitie, that is in their handes.
9. Who knoweth if God wil conuert, and forgeue: and wil returne from the furie of his wrath, and we shal not perish?
10. And God saw their workes, that they were conuerted from their euil way: and God had mercie on the euil which he had spoken, that he would do to them, and he did it not.