With his praises he couertly exhorteth him not to be dismaied for his trouble, 6 (hauing grace
giuen in Order to help him. 8 and knowing for what cause he is persecuted) and namely with the
example of Onesiphorus.
1. PAVL an Apostle of Iesvs Christ by the wil of God, according to the promise of the life which is in Christ Iesvs:
2. to Timothee me dearest sonne, grace, mercie, peace from God the Father, and Christ Iesvs our Lord.
3. I giue thankes to God, whom I serue from my Progenitours in a pure conscience, that without intermission I haue a memorie of thee in my praiers, night and day.
4. desiring to see thee, mindful of thy teares, that I may be filled with ioy,
5. calling to mind that faith which is in thee not feined, which also dwelt first in thy grand-mother Lois, and thy mother Eunice, and I am sure that in thee also.
6. For the which cause I admonish thee that thou resuscitate the grace of God, which is in thee by the imposition of my hands.
7. For God hath not giuen vs the spirit of feare: but of power, and loue, and sobrietie.
8. Be not thefore ashamed of the testimonie of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but trauail with the Ghospel according to the power of God,
9. who hath deliuered and called vs by his holy calling, not according to our workes, but according to his purpose and grace, which was giuen to vs in Christ Iesvs before the secular times.
10. But it is manifested now by the illumination of our Sauiour Iesvs Christ, who hath destroied death, and illuminated life and incorruption by the Ghospel:
11. wherein I am appointed a preacher and Apostle and Maister of the Gentils.
12. For the which cause also I suffer these things: but I am not confounded. For I know whom I haue beleeued, and I am sure that he is able to keep my depositum vnto that day.
13. Haue thou a forme of sound words, which thou hast heard of me in faith and in the loue in Christ Iesvs.
14. Keep the good depositum by the Holy Ghost, which dwelleth in vs.
15. Thou knowest this, that al which are in Asia, be auerted from me: of whom is Phigelus and Hermogenes.
16. Our Lord giue mercie to the house of Onesiphorus: because he hath often refreshed me, and hath not been ashamed of my chaine:
17. but when he was come to Rome, he sought me carefully, and found me.
18. Our Lord grant him to find mercie of our Lord in that day. And how many things he ministred to me at Ephesus, thou knowest better.