How much God hath done for them, making them Christians: 5. and that they again, must doe
their part, not hauing only faith, but al other vertues also and good workes, that so they may
haue the more assurance to enter into the Kingdom of Heauen. 13. And that he is so careful to
admonish them, knowing that his death is at hand, knowing also most certainely the comming of Christ
by the witnes of the Father himself, as also be the Prophets. Concerning whom he warneth them that
they follow not priuate spirits, but the Holy Ghost (speaking now in the Church.)
1. SIMON PETER seruant and Apostle of Iesvs Christ, to them that haue obtained equal faith with vs in the iustice of our God and Sauiour Iesvs Christ.
2. Grace to you & peace be accomplished in the knowledge of God & Christ Iesvs our Lord:
3. As al things of his diuine power which pertaine to life & godlines, are giuen vs by the knowledge of him which hath called vs by his owne proper glorie and vertue,
4. by whom he hath giuen vs most great pretious promises: that by these you may be made partakers of the diuine nature, flying the corruption of that concupiscence which is in the world.
5. And you employing al care minister ye in your faith, vertue: and in vertue, knowledge:
6. and in knowledge, abstinence: and in abstinence, patience: and in patience, pietie:
7. and in pietie, loue of the Fraternitie: and in the loue of the Fraternitie, charitie.
8. For if these things be present with you, and abound, they shal make you not vacant nor without fruit in the knowledge of our Lord Iesvs Christ.
9. For, he that hath not these things ready, is blind, and groping with his hand, hauing forgotten the purging of his old sinnes.
10. Wherfore, Brethren, labour the more that by good workes you may make sure your vocation and election. For doing these things, you shal not sinne at any time.
11. For so there shal be ministred to you aboundantly an entrance into the euerlasting Kingdom of our Lord and Sauiour Iesvs Christ.
12. For the which cause I wil begin to admonish you alwaies of these things: and you indeed knowing and being confirmed in the present truth.
13. But I thinke it meet as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stirre you vp by admonition:
14. being certaine that the laying away of my tabernacle is at hand, according as our Lord Iesvs Christ also signified to me.
15. And I wil doe my diligence, you to haue often after my decease also, that you may keep a memorie of these things.
16. For, not hauing followed vnlearned fables, haue we made the power and presence of our Lord Iesvs Christ knowen to you: but made beholders of his greatnesse.
17. For, he receiuing from God his Father honour and glorie, this manner of voice comming downe to him from the magnifical glorie, This my beloued Sonne in whom I haue pleased my self, heare him.
18. And this voice we heard brought from heauen, when we were with him in the holy mount.
19. And we haue the Prophetical word more sure: which you doe wel attending vnto, as to a candel shining in a darke place, vntil the day dawne, & the day-starre arise in your harts:
20. vnderstanding this first, that no prophecie of Scripture is made by priuate interpretation.
21. For, not by man's wil was prophecie brought at any time: but the holy men of God spake, inspired with the Holy Ghost.