He recommendeth vnto him, to inhibit certaine Iewes who iangled of the law as though it
were contrarie to his preaching. 11. Against whom he auoucheth his ministerie, though he
acknowledge his vnworthines.
1. PAVL an Apostle of Iesvs Christ according to the commaundement of God our Sauiour, and of Christ Iesvs our hope:
2. To Timothee his beloued sonne in the faith. Grace, mercie, and peace from God the Father, and from Christ Iesvs our Lord.
3. As I desired thee to remaine at Ephesus when I went into Macedonia, that thou shouldest denounce to certaine not to teach otherwise,
4. nor to attend to fables and genealogies hauing no end: which Minister questions rather then the edifying of God which is in faith.
5. But the end of the precept is charitie from a pure hart, and a good conscience, and a faith not feined.
6. From the which things certaine straying, are turned into vaine-talke,
7. desirous to be Doctours of the Law, not vnderstanding neither what things they speake, nor of what they affirme.
8. But we know that the Law is good, if a man vse it lawfully:
9. knowing this, that the Law is not made to the iust man, but to the vniust, & disobedient, to the impious & sinners, to the wicked & contaminate, to killers of fathers & killers of mothers, to murderers,
10. to fornicatours, to lyers with mankind, to man-stealers, to liers, to periured perons, and what other thing soeuer is contrarie to sound doctrine,
11. which is according to the Ghospel of the glorie of the blessed God, which is comitted to me.
12. I giue him thankes which hath strengthned me, Christ Iesvs our Lord, because he hath esteemed me faithful, putting me in the ministerie.
13. Who before was blasphemous and a persecutour and contumelious. But I obteined the mercie of God, because I did it being ignorant in incredulitie.
14. And the grace of our Lord ouer-abounded with faith and loue, which is in Christ Iesvs.
15. A faithful saying, and worthie of al acceptation, that Christ Iesvs came into this world to saue sinners, of whom I am the cheefe.
16. But therfore haue I obtained mercie: that in me first of al Christ Iesvs might shew al patience, to the information of them that shal beleeue on him vnto life euerlasting.
17. And to the King of the worlds, immortal, inuisible, only God, honour & glorie for euer and euer. Amen.
18. This precept I commend to thee, ô Timothee: according to the prophecies going before on thee, that thou warre in them a good warfare,
19. hauing faith and a good conscience, which certaine repelling haue made ship-wrack about the faith.
20. Of whom is Hymenæus & Alexander: whom I haue deliuered to Satan, that they may learne not to blaspheme.