He exhorteth them to liue as he taught them: and namely to absteine from al fornicaiton, 9 to
loue one another, 11. to meddle only with their owne matters, 12. to behaue themselues wel toward
the Infidels. 13. Touching their freinds departed he comforteth them, shewing that they shal meet
againe at the Resurrection, and be with Christ for euer.
1. The Epistle vpon the 2. Sunday in Lent. FOR the rest therfore, Brethren, we desire and beseech you in our Lord Iesvs, that as you haue receiued of vs how you ought to walke, and to please God, as also you doe walke, that you abound more.
2. For you know what precepts I haue giuen to you be our Lord Iesvs.
3. For this is the wil of God, your sanctification: that you abstaine from fornication,
4. that euery one may know to possesse his vessel in sanctification and honour:
5. not in the passion of lust, as also the Gentils that know not God,
6. and that no man ouer-goe, nor circumuent his brother in buisnesse: because our Lord is reuenger of al these things, as we haue fore-told, and haue testified.
7. For God hath not called vs into vncleannesse, but into sanctification.
8. Therfore he that despiseth these things, despiseth Not man but God.
The precepts fo the Church.
He that despiseth the Churches or her lawful Pastours precepts offendeth no lesse then if he contemned God's expresse commandements. For they be of Holy Ghost, and are not to be counted among the commandements of men only. not man but God, who also hath giuen his holy Spirit in vs.
9. But concerning the charitie of the Al Catholike Christians make one Fraternitie or Brotherhood. Fraternitie, we haue no need to write to you: For Io. 13,34. 15,17.
Heb. 13,1 your selues haue learned of God to loue one another.
10. Yea and you doe it toward al the Brethren in al Macedonia. But we desire you, Brethren, that you Christian men ought to proceed and profit continually in good workes and iustification. abound more:
11. and that you employ your endeauour to be quiet, and that you doe your owne businesse, and worke with your owne hands, as we haue commanded you:
12. and that you walke honestly toward them that are without; and need nothing of any man's.
13. The Epistle in a Masse for the dead vpon the day of the burial or deposition. And we wil not haue you ignorant, Brethren, concerning them that Sleep.
Some Heretikes peruersly inferred of this that the soules did sleep til the day of iudgement: where it is meant of the bodies only. sleep, that you be not sorrowful, as also others that haue no hope.
14. For if we beleeue that Iesvs died and rose againe, so also God them that haue slept by Iesvs wil bring with him.
15. For this we say to you in the word of our Lord, 1. Cor. 15,23. that we which liue, which are remaining in the aduent of our Lord, shal not preuent them that haue slept.
16. For our Lord himself in commandement, and in the voice of an Mt. 24,32.
1. Cor. 13,52. Archangel, & in the trompet of God wil descend from heauen: and the dead that are in Christ, shal rise againe first.
17. Then we that liue, that are left, withal shal be taken vp with them in the clouds to meet Christ, into the aire, and so alwaies we shal be with our Lord.
18. Therfore comfort ye one another in these words.