He comforteth them in their persecutions (being now by Baptisme made the children of God) with
the hope of their heauenly inheritance: 6. shewing how meritorious it is for them to be so
constant in faith, 10. and confirming them therein with the authoritie of the Prophets and of the
Holy Ghost. 15. Exhorting them to liue also accordingly in al holines, 15. considering the holines
of God, the vprightnes of his iudgement, the price of their redemption by Christ, 22. and the vertue
of the seed in them (which is grace regeneration in Baptisme) fore-told by the Prophets also.
1. PETER an Apostle of Iesvs Christ, to the elect strangers of the dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2. according to the prescience of God the Father, into sanctification of the Spirit, vnto the obedience and sprinkling of the bloud of Iesvs Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.
3. Blessed be God and the Father of our Lord Iesvs Christ, who according to his great mercie hath regenerated vs vnto a liuely hope, by the resurrection of Iesvs Christ from the dead,
4. vnto an inheritance incorruptible, and incontaminate, and that can not fade, conserued in the heauens in you,
5. (who in the vertue of God are kept by faith vnto saluation) ready to be reuealed in the last time.
6. Wherin you shal reioyce, a litle now if you must be made heauy in diuers tentations:
7. that the probation of your faith much more pretious then gold (which is proued by the fire) may be found vnto praise and glorie and honour in the reuelation of Iesvs Christ:
8. whom hauing not seen, you loue: in whom now also not seeing you beleeue: and beleeuing you reioyce with ioy vnspeakable and glorified,
9. receiuing the end of your faith, the saluation of your soules.
10. Of the which saluation the Prophets inquired & searched, which prophecied of the grace to come in you,
11. searching vnto which or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ in them did signifie: fore-telling those passions that are in Christ, and the glories following:
12. to whom it was reuealed, that not to themselues, but to you they ministred those thigns which now are told you by them that haue euangelized to you, the Holy Ghost being sent from Heauen, on whom the Angels desire to looke.
13. For the which cause hauing the loynes of your mind girded, sober, trust perfectly in that grace which is offered you, in the reuelation of Iesvs Christ,
14. as children of obedience, not configurated to the former desires of your ignorance:
15. but according to him that hath called you, the Holy one, be you also in al conuersation holy:
16. because it is written: You shal be holy, because I am holy.
17. And if you inuocate the Father, him which without acception of persons iudgeth according to euery ones worke; in feare conuerse ye the time of your seiourning.
18. Knowing that not with corruptible things, gold or siluer, you are redeemed from your vaine conuersation of your Fathers tradition:
19. but with the pretious bloud as it were of an immaculate and vnspotted Lamb, Christ,
20. fore-knowen indeed before the constitution of the world, but manifested in the last times for you,
21. which by him are faithful in God who raised him from the dead, & hath giuen him glorie, that your faith and hope might be in God.
22. Making your soules chast in obedience of charitie, in the sincere loue of the Fraternitie from the hart loue ye one another earnestly:
23. borne againe not of corruptible seed, but incorruptible by the word of God who liueth & remaineth for euer.
24. For al flesh is as grasse: & al the glorie thereof as the floure of grasse. The grasse is withered, and the floure thereof is fallen away.
25. But the word of our Lord remaineth for euer, and this is the word that is euangelized among you.