We may not beleeue al that boast of the spirit, but trie them, whether they teach Catholike
articles of the faith (namely the incarnation of Christ:) whether their doctrine be not worldly,
and themselues disobedient hearers of the Apostles. 7. We must loue one another, considering the
exceeding loue of God in sending his Sonne to saue vs. 17. An argument of perfect charitie is, if
we haue nothing in our conscience to feare in the day of iudgement. 19. And an argument that we loue
God is, if we loue our Brethren.
1. MY Dearest, beleeue not euery spirit, but proue the spirits if they be of God: because many false Prophets are gone out into the world.
2. In this is the spirit of God knowen. Euery spirit that confesseth Iesvs Christ to haue come in flesh, is of God:
3. and euery spirit that dissolueth Iesvs, is not of God: and this is Antichrist, of whom you haue heard that he commeth, and now he is in the world.
4. You are of God, litle children, and haue ouercome him. Because greater is he that if in you, then he that is in the world.
5. They are of the world: therfore of the world they speake, and the world heareth them.
6. We are of God. He that knoweth God, heareth vs. He that is not of God, heareth vs not. In this we know the spirit of truth, and the spirit of errour.
7. My Dearest, let vs loue one another: because charitie is of God. And euery one that loueth, is borne of God, & knoweth God.
8. He that loueth not, knoweth not God: because God is charitie.
9. In this hath the charitie of God appeared in vs, because God hath sent his only-begotten Sonne into the world that we may liue by him.
10. In this is charitie: not as though we haue loued him, but because he hath loued vs, and sent his Sonne a propitiation for our sinnes.
11. My Dearest, if God hath so loued vs, we also ought to loue one another.
12. God no man hath seen at any time. If we loue one another, God abideth in vs, and his charitie in vs is perfited.
13. In this we know that we abide in him, and he in vs: because he of his Spirit hath giuen to vs.
14. And we haue seen, and doe testifie, that the Father hath sent his Sonne the Sauiour of the world.
15. Whosoeuer shal confesse that Iesvs is the Sonne of God, God abideth in him, and he in God.
16. And we haue knowen and haue beleeued the charitie, which God hath in vs. God is charitie: and he that abideth in charitie, abideth in God, and God in him.
17. In this is charitie perfited with vs, that we may haue confidence in the day of iudgement: because as he is, we also are in the world.
18. Feare is not in charitie: but perfect charitie casteth out feare, because feare hath painefulnes. And he that feareth, is not perfect in charitie.
19. Let vs therfore loue God, because God first hath loued vs.
20. If any man shal say, that I loue God; and hateth his brother, he is a lier. For he that loueth not his brother whom he seeth, God whom he seeth not, how can he loue?
21. And this commandement we haue from God: that he which loueth God, loue also his brother.