If any sinne mortally, he must not despaire. 3. To know God rightly, is not to beleeue only,
but to keep his commandements: 7. and that this is no new doctrine, but the very primitue,
though a new life it is. 9. Therfore he hat beleeueth must also loue his Brethren: 12. and that men
must not loue the world but doe that which God willeth. 18. Many are gone out of the Church and
become Seducers, al the Ministers of Antichrist: but true Christians must continue in their old
faith, considering the reward, & that they need not goe to schole to any Heretike, the Holy Ghost
himself being the Schole-maister of the Church. 29. He doth earnestly inculcate iustice and good
1. My litle children, these things I write to you, that you sinne not. But and if any man shal sinne, we haue an Aduocate with the Father, Iesvs Christ the iust:
2. and he is the propitiation for our sinnes: and not for ours only, but also for the whole worldes.
3. And in this we know we haue knowen him, if we obserue his commandements.
4. He that saith he knoweth him, and keepeth not his commandements, is a lier, and the truth is not in him:
5. But he that keepeth his word, in him in very deed the charitie of God is perfited: in this we know that we be in him.
6. He that saith he abideth in him, ought euen as he walked, himself also to walke.
7. My Dearest, I write not a new commandement to you, but an old commandement which you had from the beginning. The old commandement is the word which you haue heard.
8. Againe a new commandement write I to you, which thing is true both in him and in you: because the darkenesse is passed, and the true light now shineth.
9. He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in the darkenesse euen vntil now.
10. He that loueth his brother, abideth in the light, and scandal is not in him.
11. But he that hateth his brother, is in the darkenesse, and walketh in the darkenesse, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because the darkenes hath blinded his eyes.
12. I write vnto you litle children, because your sinnes are forgiuen you for his name.
13. I write vnto you fathers, because you haue knowen him which is from the beginning. I write vnto you yong men, because you haue ouercome the wicked one.
14. I write to you infants, because you haue knowen the Father. I write vnto you yong men, because you are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and you haue ouercome the wicked one.
15. Loue not the world, nor those things which are in the world. If any man loue the world, the charitie of the Father is not in him.
16. because al that is in the world, is the concupiscence of the flesh, and the concupiscence of the eyes, and the pride of life, which is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17. And the world passeth and the concupiscence thereof. But he that doeth the wil of God, abideth for euer.
18. Litle children, it is the last houre, & as you haue heard, that Antichrist commeth: now there are become many Antichrists, whereby we know, that it is the last houre.
19. They went out from vs; but they were not of vs. For if they had been of vs, they would surely haue remained with vs: but that they may be manifest that they are not al of vs.
20. But you haue the vnction from the Holy one, and know al things.
21. I haue not written to you as to them that know not the truth, but as to them that know it: and that no lie is of the truth.
22. Who is a lier, but he which denieth that Iesvs is Christ? This is Antichrist which denieth the Father and the Sonne.
23. Euery one that denieth the Sonne, neither hath he the Father. He that confesseth the Sonne, hath the Father also.
24. You, that which you haue heard from the beginning, let it abide in you. If that abide in you which you haue heard from the beginning, you also shal abide in the Sonne & the Father.
25. And this is the promise which he promised vs, life euerlasting.
26. These things haue I written to you concerning them that seduce you.
27. And you, the vnction which you haue receiued from him, let it abide in you. And you haue no need that any man teach you: but as his vnction teacheth you of al things, and it is true, and it is no lie. And as it hath taught you, abide in him.
28. And now litle children abide in him: that when he shal appeare, we may haue confidence, and not be confounded of him in his comming.
29. If you know that he is iust, know ye that euery one also which doeth iustice, is borne of him.