Good cause there is to beleeue the Apostles preaching. 5. And this is one point of their
preaching, that to haue participation with God, we must not only beleeue, but also abstaine
from al mortal sinne, 8. though we al sinne venially.
1. THAT which was from the beginning, which we haue heard, which we haue seen with our eyes, which we haue looked vpon, and our hands haue handled, of the Word of life:
2. (and the life was manifested: and we haue seen, and doe testifie, and declare vnto you the life eternal which was with the Father, and hath appeared to vs)
3. that which we haue seen and haue heard, we declare vnto you, that you also may haue societie with vs, and our societie may be with the Father and with his Sonne Iesvs Christ.
4. And these things we write to you, that you may reioyce, and your ioy may be ful.
5. And this is the annuntiation which we haue heard of him, and declare vnto you, That God is light, and in him there is no darkenesse:
6. If we shal say that we haue societie with him, and walke in darkenesse, we lie, and doe not the truth.
7. But if we walke in the light, as he also is in the light: we haue societie one toward another, and the bloud of Iesvs Christ his Sonne cleanseth vs from al sinne.
8. If we shal say that we haue no sinne, we seduce our selues, and the truth is not in vs.
9. If we confesse our sinnes, he is faithful & iust, for to forgiue vs our sinnes, and to cleanse vs from al iniquitie.
10. If we shal say that we haue not sinned, we make him a lier, and his word is not in vs.