The 8. part.
Of the contributions. He prescribed an order for their contributing to the Christians at Hierusalem, 3. promising to come vnto them. 10. Of Timothee, and of Apollo's comming hither. 13. And so with exhortation, and diuers commendations, he endeth.
1. AND concerning the collections that are made for the Saints, as I haue ordeined to the Churches of Galatia, so doe ye also.
2. In That is Sunday. Hiero. q. 4. Hedibiæ. So quickly did the Christians keepe Sunday, holiday, and assembled to Diuine Seruice on the same. the first of the Sabboth let euery one of you put a part with himself, laying vp what shal wel like him: that not when I come, then collections be made.
3. And when I shal be present; whom you shal approue by letters, them wil I send to carie your grace into Hierusalem.
4. And if it be worthie that I also goe, they shal goe with me.
5. And I wil come to you, when I shal haue passed through Macedonia. For I wil passe through Macedonia.
6. And with you perhaps I wil abide, or wil winter also: that you may bring me on my way whithersoeuer I goe.
7. For I wil not now see you by the way, for I hope that I shal abide with you sometime, if our Lord wil permit.
8. But I wil tarie at Ephesus vntil The Heretikes & other new-fangled striue among themselues, whether Pentecost signifie here the terme of fiftie daies, or els the Iewes holy-day so called. But it commeth not to their minds that it is most like to be the feast of whitsontide, kept & instituted euen then by the Apostles, as appeareth by the Fathers. See S. Aug. ep. 119. c. 25. & 16. Ambr. in c. 17. Lucæ. Pentecost.
9. For a great doore and euident is opened vnto me: and many aduersaries.
10. And if Timothee come, see that he be without feare with you, for he worketh the worke of our Lord, as also I.
11. Let no man therfore despise him, but conduct ye him in peace: that he may come to me. For I expect him with the Brethren.
12. And of Brother Apollo I doe you to vnderstand, that I much intreated him to come vnto you with the Brethren: and πάντως at al it was not his mind to come now. But he wil come when he shal haue leisure.
13. Watch ye, stand in the faith, doe manfully, & be strengthned.
14. Let al your things be done in charitie.
15. And I beseech you, Brethren, you know the house of Stephanas, and of Fortunatus, that they are the first fruits of Achaia, & haue ordeined themselues to the ministerie of the Saints:
16. that you also be subiect to such, and to euery one that helpeth & laboureth with vs.
17. And I reioyce in the presence of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus, because τὸ ὑμῶν ὑστέρημα. that which you wanted, they haue supplied.
18. For they haue refreshed both my spirit and yours. Know them therfore that are such.
19. The Churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla with their domestical Church salute you much in our Lord.
20. Al the Brethren salute you. Salute one another in a See Rom. 16,16. holy kisse.
21. The salutation with mine owne hand Paules.
22. If any man loue not our Lord Iesvs Christ, be he anathema מרן
23. The grace of our Lord Iesvs Christ be with you.
24. My charitie be with you al in Christ Iesvs. Amen.