To talke of the time of the Resurrection is not necessarie, but to prepare our selues against
that time so sodaine, and so terrible to the vnprepared. 12 He beseech the layetie to be
obedient, 14 and the Clergie to be vigilant, with many short precepts moe.
1. AND of the times and momentes, Brethren, you need not that we write to you.
2. For your selues know perfectly that the day of our Lord shal so come as Mt. 24,44.
1. Pet. 3,10.
Apoc. 3,3. 16,15. a theefe in the night.
3. For when they shal say, peace & securitie; then shal sodaine destruction come vpon them, as the paines to her that is with child, and they shal not escape.
4. But you, Brethren, are not in darknesse; that the same day may as a theefe ouer-take you.
5. For al you are the children of light, and children of the day: we are not of the night nor of darknesse.
6. Therfore let vs not sleep as also others: but let vs watch & be sober.
7. For they that sleep, sleep in the night; & they that be drunke,be drunke in the night.
8. But we that are of the day, are sober, Esa. 59,27.
Eph. 6,17. hauing on, the breast-plate of faith and A christian man's whole armour is not faith only, but al three vertues here named. charitie, and a helmet, the hope of saluation.
9. For God hath not appointed vs vnto wrath, but vnto the purchasing of saluation by our Lord Iesvs Christ,
10. who died for vs: that whether we watch, or sleep, we may liue together with him.
11. For the which cause comfort one another: and edifie one another, as also you doe.
12. And we beseech you, Brethren, that you wil know them that labour among you, and that gouerne you in our Lord and admonish you:
13. that you haue them more aboundantly in charitie for their worke. Haue peace with them.
14. the Epistle vpon the Imber Saturday in Lent. And we beseech you, Brethren, admonish the vnquiet, comfort the weake-minded, beare vp the weake, be patient to al.
15. See that Pro 17,13.
1. Pet. 3. 9. none render euil for euil to any man: but alwaies that which is good pursue toward each other, & towards al.
16. Alwaies reioyce.
17. to desire eternal life of him that only can giue it, is to pray without intermission: but because that desire is often by worldly cares cooled, certaine houres & times of vocal praier were appointed. See S. Aug. ep. 121. ad Probam. Pray Luc. 18,1. without intermission.
18. In al things giue thankes. For this is the wil of God in Christ Iesvs in al you.
19. The Spirit extinguish not.
20. Prophecies despise not.
21. But But proue.
Not rashly to credit euery spirit.
Though we may not extinguish the spirit, nor comtemne the Prophets, yet we must beware we be not deceiued by giuing too light credit to euery one that vanteth himself of the spirit, as Arch-heretikes euer did. We must trie them by the doctrine of the Apostles and the Spirit of the Catholike Church, which can not beguile vs. proue al things hold that which is good.
22. From al appearance of euil refraine your selues.
23. And the God of peace himself sanctifie you in al things: that your whole spirit, and soule and body without blame may be presurued in the comming of our Lord Iesvs Christ.
24. He is faithful, that hath called you, who also wil doe it.
25. Brethren pray for vs.
26. Salute al the Brethren in a holy kisse.
27. I adiure you by our Lord that this epistle be read to al the holy Brethren.
28. The grace of our Lord Iesvs Christ be with you. Amen.